1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Give your best advice to an expecting father

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

And that is what boys are like.
    And let us never change. I was in Scotland a month or so ago, hanging out in some park, idly watching two kids, I guess 6 and 8, thinking 'jesus, despite the fact that I grew up in a different era, on the other side of the world, this could be me and my brother 25 yrs ago'. They were just fighting on hills, defeating invisible enemies from the backs of imaginary tigers, clubbing each other with sticks and getting completely filthy in the process (and then no doubt having to explain to their mother just how they got so dirty and all that). Was kinda cool actually. Then I realised I was a grown man standing at the park staring at children and thought it best to move on.

2. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

And let us never change. I was in Scotland a month or so ago, hanging out in some park, idly watching two kids, I guess 6 and 8, thinking 'jesus, despite the fact that I grew up in a different era, on the other side of the world, this could be me and my brother 25 yrs ago'.

They were just fighting on hills, defeating invisible enemies from the backs of imaginary tigers, clubbing each other with sticks and getting completely filthy in the process (and then no doubt having to explain to their mother just how they got so dirty and all that).

Yes, exactly.

(And that makes me miss my brother very much.)

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

there was an article in the local timeout last week, a woman asking about talking to her teenage boys about masterbation and giving them advice about lotions and lubricants and so on. I found that to be very weird, and I am not looking forward to that period with my kids.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

^
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

+1 f'n million.

whenever someone I know complain about how their son/sons are a handful I always ask them if they would rather their son be some quiet, timid introvert.

6. Teacher

there was an article in the local timeout last week, a woman asking about talking to her teenage boys about masterbation and giving them advice about lotions and lubricants and so on. I found that to be very weird, and I am not looking forward to that period with my kids.

You're even entertaining the thought of doing that????

7. dron

dron Well-Known Member

our first son is in the works and will be done in a few weeks. and right now my wife is driving me crazy with names talk. i would never have imagined how much time you can spend just reeling off names.

now you guys might actually be to some help.
    my wife is half japanese with no real connection to japan though, so we would like to call him something that will kind of point to his descent. on the other hand he will grow up in denmark and i want the name to be somewhat recognizable in europe. it should be a name that he will not have to spell out all the time.

any suggestions?

8. Teacher

Koji

Japanese, but easily pronounced in many European languages

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Akira![​IMG]

Kenji is a good one.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

Too True!

Man, I have a hard enough time talking to ours about scrubbing the undercarriage properly. God help me when THAT day comes around. Maybe I can get uncle T4 to help out on that talk.

12. globetrotter

You're even entertaining the thought of doing that????

no, I meant the time when they get to that age. they can figure it out themselves, but I am guessing that at one point I am going to se evidence of it, or walk in on it.

13. globetrotter

our first son is in the works and will be done in a few weeks. and right now my wife is driving me crazy with names talk. i would never have imagined how much time you can spend just reeling off names.

now you guys might actually be to some help.
    my wife is half japanese with no real connection to japan though, so we would like to call him something that will kind of point to his descent. on the other hand he will grow up in denmark and i want the name to be somewhat recognizable in europe. it should be a name that he will not have to spell out all the time.

any suggestions?

we wanted names that worked in 3 languages, hebrew, english and spanish. we ended up using first middle combinations that worked pretty well.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Same thing for us - we wanted names (two of them) that work in French, Japanese and English. i.e. that are actual proper first names in all three languages. Let me tell you that narrows down the field pretty dramatically.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Same thing for us - we wanted names (two of them) that work in French, Japanese and English. i.e. that are actual proper first names in all three languages. Let me tell you that narrows down the field pretty dramatically.

Yan/Ian??

16. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

^

Same for US/Aus. Portuguese/Tetum and Vietnamese. We ended-up with using the middle name to cover some of that [​IMG]

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Yan/Ian??

We had a final list of 6 or 7 names. A couple were no no's because of the Japanese meaning. Picked the two we preferred. Don't remember if Yan was on it (is that a Japanese name too?)

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

We had a final list of 6 or 7 names. A couple were no no's because of the Japanese meaning. Picked the two we preferred. Don't remember if Yan was on it (is that a Japanese name too?)

PM names, curious...

19. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Picking a name is hard enough, makes me glad we only had to consider honky.

20. dron

dron Well-Known Member

i would really like to know that list...purrrlease