1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

The best approach is as follows:

If there is a store in your area that carries GBV, go there, try on both a small and medium, and buy the one that suits you.

If you can't do that, find a store with free returns, order both a small and a medium, and send back the size that doesn't fit.

I just don't think GBV's sizing is uniform enough to give an unqualified prescription.

Your chest and sleeve size are about the same as mine, and I find that smalls fit me in some patterns/seasons and mediums others.

2. kentpope

kentpope Well-Known Member

East Dane is good for this right now. 25% off with the code FAMILY25.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I've got a love hate with Gitman. I like them because they fit my body type well because of the blousy back and lower back. I've got a barrel chest from the gym and I can size up to a shirt with a 23-24" chest it it would still pull, however I can usually slide into Gitmans just fine. Their size variety sort of bugs me though, I've come to think though it's the fabric that designates the fit and not actually the sizing. Because all the winter shirts I have and cotton shirts fit ok and drap well even though they are slightly too big. But my summer madras looks horrible on me, all my lands end summer shirts fit better and were like $20

I prob shouldn't complain though because I buy gitman end of season for like 60-70$

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

Came across 2 Gitman vintage OCBD's at the thrift store for $7 each. The patterns were atrocious so I left them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. White Lotus

White Lotus Well-Known Member

thank you.

6. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Well-Known Member

The fit variation is because they wash the fabric after sewing. The fabrics have different amounts of shrink. It's a good thing they wash em afterwards otherwise you would buy your size and then it would shrink to a variable size when you wanted it at home and might not be able to wear it

7. Ritchee

Ritchee Well-Known Member

8. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

I have always wondered about what stage in production Gitman washes their garments.

Would it not be possible to improve size standardization through washing/sanfordizing the fabric before it is constructed into clothing?

9. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

Let us know how it goes. I would also be curious to know what shirt/size combination ends up working out for you, as it sounds like we are both in the no-man's-land between size small and medium.

10. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

The fabrics/patterns used are most certainly part of the F/W 14 collection. The collar designs and pocket detailing, however, leads me to think that GItman did some custom production for the store in question.

FWIW, Neither point collars nor button flaps do much for me. Are these styles popular in Northern Ireland?

11. PersilVouchers

PersilVouchers Well-Known Member

Or adding the size tag after they've washed the shirts?

12. PersilVouchers

13. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

1 person likes this.
  14. coffeequeen

coffeequeen Well-Known Member

I agonized whether to take advantage of Acrimony's GV custom order, but ultimately decided against pulling the trigger. Now already have self-doubts. For my own future reference, has anyone ever seen or experienced the white cotton herringbone fabric with the colored flecks throughout? Would it have been well worth the $204? thanks for any info re the fabric.

15. rusticchasm

Custom? Are they still going

16. Exalt

Exalt Well-Known Member

17. PersilVouchers

I didn't see a single shirt I wanted - you didn't miss much (IMO)

18. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Lots of XXL's available on the Unionmade website "Archive" sale. Good prices too.

19. Albert Yi

Albert Yi Member

Managed to snag the SS Bamboo Orchid shirt from the warehouse sale. It's gorgeous but not really impressed with the quality of the fabric, especially for the cost. Wrinkles easily, placket is folding after just one wash. Will probably need to iron this.

20. rusticchasm

does anyone have a tipi print in xs they want to part with?

one of my frustrations with GBV (aside from random fit variation) is not being able to find the prints, esp in an XS