1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mike1445

mike1445 Well-Known Member

does anybody have the loden green flannel? I'd been thinking about getting the overdye olive oxford but those shirts just look like a wrinkled mess.

2. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

Have the over dyed, just press it.

3. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

Does Gitman Brothers Vintage ever make anything in an XXL, or do they have any type of MTO or larger sizes options? Love the look of their stuff, but I can only find XL sizes.

4. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

They do make xxl's but they may not be particularly common. I've seen xxl oxfords.

5. aldenfan

Thanks, good to know. Do you know remember where you saw them?

I've seen xxl for gitman "regular" but I haven't been able to locate any gitman vintage :-\

6. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

One place to look is eBay. Careful though, as some of these are regular Gitman.

Personally, I've seen XXL's at Barneys.

7. aldenfan

Awesome, thanks. I'll check out both and use caution with eBay.

8. joshualim90

joshualim90 Active Member

Sorry if this has been answered before, don't they use similar fabrics for both regular and vintage Gitmans?

I once purchased a regular Gitman with a fabric as seen on the Gitman website.

Is it the fit that differs?

9. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

I would assume there is some crossover with fabrics, probably more-so with oxfords and basics than the loud prints. The fit is way different though.

10. Kensington

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  11. joshualim90

joshualim90 Active Member

elaborate on the fit please!

12. Kensington

GBV is very slim and tapered, and even slimmer in F/W. Standard Gitmans are huge.

13. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Because you don't have graded sizes, you can make a GBV shirt fit a couple of different ways. On my frame, a M GBV corresponds to a 15.5/34 Brooks Brothers slim fit. The BB X slim fit is more tapered. I'm 5'11/160ish with a 39" chest, fairly athletic build (tho less every year...!).

I also wouldn't really call GBV "tapered" -- there's actually a little bit of flare at the bottom. Now, WvG after dinner or BoO -- those are tapered.

14. Kensington

You can make any shirt fit different ways by wearing different sizes. I think most would consider GBV a slimmer fit than your average shirt.

I think anyone unfamiliar with the brand should know it slims in the midsection compared to other shirts with a seem going straight down. That's the taper I was referring to. A taper is a taper regardless if there is flare on the bottom.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  15. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you -- compared to a "standard" American OCBD or dress shirt it does taper, but there are far more tapered cuts out there. (I live in France, where their many men think shirts don't fit unless they're skin tight).

1 person likes this.
  16. Keller

Keller Well-Known Member

I have one GB vintage shirt, it is slim, I would say similar to slim from the 70´s but not that much. It is wearable.

17. PersilVouchers

PersilVouchers Well-Known Member

18. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

"No size guessing games for years to come," eh, Gentry?

Dr. Pangloss alert!

If the "fit [were] always there," there wouldn't be a GBV thread with 90 pages of people asking for pit-to-pit measurements.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  19. JChance

JChance Well-Known Member

Some decent sales on Need Supply for the smaller folks (XS, S)

20. White Lotus

White Lotus Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my chest measures around 36-37. I usually wear shirts with 40 chest or 20 pit to pit. My shirts are usually sized small. The Gitman Vintage size chart for small is 19 p2p that means its 38 chest measurement. The Small sleeve is 25 inches. My sleeve is around 22 inches. The medium gitman vintage is 40 in the chest but the sleeve is 25. Do you guys think my body type can fit in a GTV? Or would the sleeves be too long? and would i still be able to move with the limited chest room if i got a small?