1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

gitman bros vintage...anyone tried out yet?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chestercopperpot, Feb 6, 2009.

1. sartort

sartort Well-Known Member

what would a Black Fleece BB1 = in GBV sizing?

2. heard546

heard546 Well-Known Member

I was able to pick up gitman brothers vintage, and it's little too big for me. I am listing it for sale, and if any one is interested before I return it contact me.

-tony

gitman brothers vintage is apparently out now and i was curious if anyone has had any experience with them yet. i know they make the shirts for thom browne and i've always been a fan of those but unfortunately i can't always drop 250 a pop.

anyone know the price etc on these?

3. poodlerock

poodlerock Well-Known Member

I'm obsessed with these things . . . picked up another one today. Toll is now at 6. I like their fit better than BF.

Anyone have experience with regular Gitman shirts? I've heard the fabric is ridiculous, but they're fairly boxy.

4. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Well-Known Member

Gitman makes shirts for Band of Outsiders and Oxxford as well as ties for the latter. I would like to find a store in Boston carrying Gitman MTM as they now do quite slim cuts.

5. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

Do the Gitman Bros. Vintage OCBD's have a pocket? I'm already on the fence based on the locker loop and button on the back of the collar.

6. poodlerock

Yes to the pocket (which I hope you'll construe to be a good thing). Not all of the shirts have the button on back of the collar.

Do the Gitman Bros. Vintage OCBD's have a pocket? I'm already on the fence based on the locker loop and button on the back of the collar.

7. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

I would prefer no pocket. I know it's not exactly trad.

8. poodlerock

The pockets are pretty nice and unobtrusive on the shirts. They are smaller than most pockets.

9. sartort

sartort Well-Known Member

can you comment on Black Fleece vs Gitman sizing?

Ie, If you take a Black Fleece Size 1, what size would you take in a Gitman Vintage?

10. poodlerock

I'm a BF 2, Gitman M.

can you comment on Black Fleece vs Gitman sizing?

Ie, If you take a Black Fleece Size 1, what size would you take in a Gitman Vintage?

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Got one of these (thanks poodlerock!). It's a nice shirt, but I would probably hesitate to pay full freight--a made-in-US, nominally slim oxford is just not that "special" anymore, with BB BF and Band of Outsiders around and often on sale. This is one of the models which I guess (from the tags) is available at Nordstrom, so maybe they just have a safe buy, but it does not have the button on the back of the collar, or any other "interesting" details like BB BF has. I was a little put off by the lack of any box/shoulder pleat.

Fit is good for me--a little bigger than my black fleeces from the first BB BF season (BB3, Gitman Vintage 16/L), certainly larger than a BoO XL, and just a better cut than RL custom fit oxfords in L.

12. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

Very, very interesting. Two questions:

1. Are the buttons MOP?

2. Where can one buy those shirts in the UK? (Including online retailers)

13. Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

the Spring 2010 Gitman shirts are now in at Stel's. They're looking really nice!

14. kinch

kinch Well-Known Member

What's the fit like on these? For reference, a BoO large fits great on me.

15. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Well-Known Member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    www.gitmanvintage.com

Note wholesale prices averaging $26.25 in 1984 on primarily Japanese woven Threadtex (TTX) tartanish fabrics. That would have been circa $55 retail.

There've gotta be beaucoup original NOS Gitmans out there languishing in the musty, dusty stock rooms of old traditional retailers or hanging unwanted from Pater's estate in almost pristine condition on Goodwill racks.

Gitman did not use MOP. They used a chalky white looking faux horn button on dress shirts. In the '80s Gitman was so popular that Lands' End, Kenneth Gordon, Nantucket Shirts, Norman Shirts and others copied the double track stitching at he the collar edge and the aforementioned buttons. At the time Gitman shirts incorporated more stitches per inch on the front plackets, collars and yokes than competitive shirts. It's been a while but the last I looked that was not the case. Oddly, vintage Gitman shirts had double-needle side and sleeve seams that weren't particularly impressive.

For the thrifters: The brand 'Bert Pulitzer' preceded 'Gitman Bros.' as basically the same shirt before the early '80s. That's not to be confused with later B.P. shirts which were out of B.P.'s control. Gitman made Paul Stuart's basic shirts for years. Also Sak's private label. If you see a private label shirt with double track stitching on the collar edge, chalky white buttons, and collar band label as below, either in white on green or vice versa, it's Gitman. Obviously, sport shirts had tortoise-like faux horn buttons.

RN number for Ashland Shirt Co. is RN55760 (probably on old Bert Pulitzer)
    RN number for most vintage, with a small v, Gitman Bros. shirts was/is RN63620
    They're the same source. The RN# on these shirts can be found on the lower front center beneath the placket, unless that's changed.

Photo borrowed from a recent AAAC Trad thread. Note the double-needle collar edge stitching.
    [​IMG]

16. jsqfunk

jsqfunk Well-Known Member

17. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Well-Known Member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    there is a 30 page thread on the street clothing re: gitman vintage
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=113367

Thank you.

Apprehensive that Streetwear & Denim might be a tough neighborhood one toted one's blackthorn cudgel over there.

Gosh! Geewhillikers. So, Gitman's now flying as an urban boho hipster object of desire? Whocoudanode a 'traditional shop' stalwart would be resurrected as 'streetwear'. buzz, buzz

Do the cognoscenti realize that Lands' End flogged basically the same cotton poplin tartan check stuff for years at $30 a pop? Although made in Honduras, or wherever, the LE sport shirts had single needle side seams. Gitman probably have double-needle side seams. So, as soon as they disappear from LE (Bean also?) such things become 'cool'?

The old Gitmans, if the yoke was held to a light, would reveal a fake split yoke. When a real split yoke is held to a light a 1/4" or more dark area of cloth 'inlay' on each side of the seam is visible. Fake inlays only exhibit a very thin dark area which is where a continuous piece of cloth has been stitched to simulate a seam.

$175+ eh? Barnum and Mencken are repeatedly proved insightful. Ah, youth

18. Mr.Williams

Mr.Williams New Member

I am the Manager of Haberdash in Chicago, IL. I currently carry the Chambray Gitman Vintage shirts, here are the colors and size availability as of 11:50am CST.

Teal - 2 Medium / 3 Large / 1 X-Large

Purple - 1 Small / 1 Medium / 2 Large / 2 X-Large

Orange - 2 Medium / 1 Large / 1 X-Large / 1 XX-Large

Blue - 1 Medium / 3 Large / 1 X-Large

If you would like to order one, please call and ask to Phillip @ 312.440.1300

Special thanks to Elliott for bringing this up! I owe you bro!

19. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

hows the measurement on the vintage? chest and shoulder measurement? on a medium and a large?

Measurements on GBV vary from style to style. Context does a good job posting measurements for each style they sell. I'm a S in most GBV styles, but a M in a few of the others.