1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gieves & Hawkes - made in America?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by grimslade, Aug 5, 2006.

1. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Perusing the local thrift store today, I came across a G&H suit in my size (44R). But it seemed to be work-for-hire (or just simple label-lending) done for Bloomingdales. The suit said "made in America." It was 2B, SB, fairly classical styling with pleated pants in a medium-gray flannel.

Anyone know anything about these suits?

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Found one of those a week or two ago as well.

Was quite surprised.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about these suits?

H-F holds/held the G&H license.

4. Queensberry

Queensberry Member

In the UK, Gieves RTW & MTM are made by Wensum Clothing Co, but their US stuff is produced by Hickey Freeman.

5. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

In the UK, Gieves RTW & MTM are made by Wensum Clothing Co, but their US stuff is produced by Hickey Freeman.

Do you know if Aquascutum has some sort of similar arrangement? I have a blazer w/ 'made in USA' tag....

6. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Do you know if Aquascutum has some sort of similar arrangement? I have a blazer w/ 'made in USA' tag....
    Made by H. Freeman, part of IAG (NOT Hickey-Freeman).

7. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I've seen the G&H American suits with their easily identifiable Hickey Freeman tags. One caveat - the suits seem (if I remember correctly) to be made to HF Ltd specs, i.e. half canvas, not as high quality work.

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I've seen the G&H American suits with their easily identifiable Hickey Freeman tags. One caveat - the suits seem (if I remember correctly) to be made to HF Ltd specs, i.e. half canvas, not as high quality work.
    Very good point. Another poster long ago pointed out that there was also a line called "Gieves & Hawkes Bespoke", which was the Hickey-Freeman RTW made to a slightly higher spec, but not in any way Bespoke. Very confusing!

9. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Well-Known Member

For quite a while, both Huntsman and Gieves & Hawkes in London sold RTW suits made by Chester Barrie.
    At the same time Barney's was carrying a line named Chester Barrie, only for the USA market, which was made by Hickey Freeman. It also had suits with the Huntsman label which were actually made by Chester Barrie, apparently the same ones being sold in London by Huntsman.