1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gevril GV2 watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by philosophe, Jun 16, 2006.

1. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Watchmavens, what do you think of the Gevril GV2 watches? I am considering buying one.

I can't seem to paste the image, but here's a link:
    http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail...ial=&watchsp=#

If there are other $400-500 options, feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

What sort of watch are you interested in? Some things I can think of off the top of nmy head: Stowa, Nomos Glashuette, Doxa, There are even sapphire-equipped Poljot chronographs available at that price point. Plus many very nice Seiko and Citizen watches.

3. philosophe

What sort of watch are you interested in? Some things I can think of off the top of nmy head:

Stowa, Nomos Glashuette, Doxa,
    There are even sapphire-equipped Poljot chronographs available at that price point. Plus many very nice Seiko and Citizen watches.

Those are great suggestions. You've got my taste in watches down.

I love the Nomos Glashuette but they are little above my price range. (The Gevril I pictured actually runs under $400 these days).

Would it be practical to order a Stowa? What if something goes wrong?

I need a watch that is not too big. I have small wrists. Right now, I am wearing a Michele round chronograph that is 35mm across the face and 39mm when measured to the end of the bezel.

4. skalogre

Those are great suggestions. You've got my taste in watches down. I love the Nomos Glashuette but they are little above my price range. (The Gevril I pictured actually runs under $400 these days). Would it be practical to order a Stowa? What if something goes wrong? I need a watch that is not too big. I have small wrists. Right now, I am wearing a Michele round chronograph that is 35mm across the face and 39mm when measured to the end of the bezel.
    My only Stowa is an Antea Kleine Sekunde which I am wearing as we speak. I also have small wrists, the KS is around 36mm! My largest watch is a Seagull chronograph at around 41mm. As for practical, my understanding is that as Stowa is a small company they have no direct US distributor however the owner Jorg Schauer has got a great reputation for customer service and quality control. He posts fairly often over at the Schauer-Stowa subforum of Watchuseek. A couple people here also have an Antea, TKDKid and A Harris if I recall correctly.

5. jml90

jml90 Well-Known Member

6. skalogre

Good call on Hamilton; I was thinking of it when I made my post then somehow forgot to add them there. Edit: That reminds me... Christopher Ward

7. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Well-Known Member

I have the Antea, too--from Bauhaus to my house.

It may have been mentioned already, but also have a look at the Max Bill designs from Junghans.

8. skalogre

I have the Antea, too--from Bauhaus to my house.

It may have been mentioned already, but also have a look at the Max Bill designs from Junghans.

Good call, forgot about Junghans.

9. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

That watch is a very good buy for $380. It's well made and it's automatic. This watch retailed for $1500 before Gevril ran into money problems. There are more styles at Overstock.com and amazon.com at greatly reduced prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...outThisProduct

10. philosophe

Thanks for the suggestions.
    This morning, I am feeling quite taken with the Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde.
    I like the blue Gevril watch as a fun piece, but that classic Bauhaus design and a mechanical watch are incredibly appealing.
    I am turning 40 next month and celebrating with a new watch.