1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

George Cleverley Anthony Cleverley Models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maverick972, Oct 9, 2010.

1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

2. 500plus

500plus Member

According to one of the guys from LS Hawaii, Cleverley told them otherwise but later they found out for themselves that the AC line was indeed made by EG. Maybe one of the reasons why LS dropped Cleverley?

3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I was

I was told its mostly EG work though not all by EG staff or something along the lines. Shoes did look different but I was also recommended St. C even months ago before clearance sales for the full customization / hand last. I do wish I bought a few pairs but nothing was really my size / a lot of d widths.

4. 500plus

500plus Member

They are nice shoes, no doubt. I actually picked up a pair from LS a while back at regular price but ended up giving them away because they were too dainty and pointy for my liking. They are finished very nicely but for that price point I'd rather do an EG Top Drawer shoe or Saint Crispin's.

5. Chowkin

Chowkin Well-Known Member

Just stumbled upon another thread which said the AC line was made by C&J

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/16095#post_6340638

6. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

7. Mifune

Mifune Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one put their finger on this previously...especially retailers, who ought to be more clued up on the tricks of the trade. Even on Cleverley's website, there are several bench made models with that "EG oval"...and these would be dead obvious to anyone with a passing interest in these types of shoes.
    - Adam
    - Alan
    - David
    - Jack
    - Oliver
    - Reuben
    - Sean

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Chowkin

Chowkin Well-Known Member

The oval window is not an exclusive feature of EG. My Cheaneys have it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Well-Known Member

This IS obvious from EG (UK & US sizing/half size difference/888 last is dead giveaway). The OP said the shoes he had found at a local shop has a SIMILAR oval window as the picture provided. And the shoes are from GC's benchmade line, NOT AC line. This makes me doubt the shoes were made by EG as the prices for GC's benchmade are significantly lower than EG's.
    +1. My Grenson MP has a similar oval window as well. My Anthony Cleverley has a window, but not really an oval shape. [​IMG] And my AC does not look anything like EG. Of course, EG could have the capacities doing something very differently as its usual offerings.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Alfred Sargent has the same window and size markings.

11. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

12. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Well-Known Member

:nodding:

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. If it helps clarify:

Cleverly has two ready to wear lines. The low end are made by third parties like C&J, by machine. Very few of them make it to the U.S. but the sell like mad in Japan.

The Anthony Cleverly are made in a variety of workrooms to a much higher standard. They are mostly hand made but not entirely. The soles are attached by machine (attaching them by hand would make ACs the most expensive RTW shoes on earth). The make in my opinion is as good as EG's best. Canted heels, beveled waists, toe brads, etc.

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I came across a mint condition pair of Thomas double monks in calf. What line were they from? They're in very good condition and available for $225 at a secondhand store

15. rallyx

rallyx Well-Known Member

That's the GC line, entry level made by CJ.