1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gentleman's pocket knife

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jfrater, Feb 4, 2015.

1. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

Chunky!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

3. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

Richard Rogers Chunky. Look above and there are pictures of its brother the Sharpy and a link I believe.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I tend to agree with this. A multi-tool makes sense. Not just a knife.

5. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Multi tools tend to be a little more bulky to carry in a pocket. I use a true small knife for opening the occasional box, cutting a rope/plastic, etc. I couldnt imagine carrying anything much larger than it is in my actual pocket.

6. Jr Mouse

There are some very small multi-tools on the market. Ones that a doubt would take up much more space then your knife, maybe even less depending on what model you are talking about.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. sinnedk

i like knives but don't carry them much. Multi tool has been a life saver in car problems or whatever situations. got the below as a present and been using it for years now. I know its nothing crazy like in this thread but its reliable.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Jr Mouse

Yeah I carry a small multi-tool in my bag. Can't say I use it much, but it's good to have around if I need it.

9. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

I have had this on my keys for several years now and use it all the time:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Jr Mouse

The nice thing about the smaller Leatherman Multi Tools is there are people who refurbish them and sell them super cheap on Ebay. I've bought a few over time and never had issue with any of them. They come tightened up, oiled and sharpened. It's great for having a spare or being able to leave one in your car for emergency use.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  11. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

I carry a small knife when I'm wearing jeans and use it mostly for opening packages or cutting plastic. I feel naked without it, though I could probably use a key if I had to in most cases. I'd love if my knife could open a bottle and had a screwdriver, but there is no appeal to me for carrying a multi-tool like those pictured above. Light and thin (with a clip) are features that ensure that I choose to automatically carry a knife with me and thus are more important to me than the other functional aspects.

That said, I keep a Leatherman in the car but have never used it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  12. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

I have a Strider PT with Lifter's Sheath on belt for my gentleman carry.

Strider SnG CC with deep carry clip for weekend carry on jeans.

Also having custom kydex sheath made for my Strider SLCC for carrying inside suit pocket.

13. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Opinel 6, so I don't care if I lose it.

A couple strokes on my strop with green compound and it's hair splitting sharp.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  14. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I do have a couple of knives on the way. The first is by a South African knife maker called Andre Thorburn. Neither of these pictures are mine, but the Thorburn knife should be here within the next week and the Rockstead hopefully by the end of the month. The Rockstead was ordered at the beginning of the year and since they produce a limited number of knives not unlike Andre Thorburn they only produce certain models at certain times of the year.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  15. Jarmo

Jarmo Active Member

I've had several folding knives ever since childhood and for the last several years I've used a Leatherman. It's a great multitool with quick deploying blades but it is too bulky and lacks the style I want from an EDC knife. I really dislike the types of knives with tactical design cues (Spyderco etc.) but unfortunately these types of knives seem to make up the majority. For me the style of the knife takes precedence over pure utility so no thumb hole for my knife. After several days of going through dozens of different styles I've arrived at the German Otter Mercator with brass construction and carbon blade. (Pic from Google). Can't wait to see the patina this one develops!
    [​IMG]
    I also considered a Laguiole type of knife but I think the slim profile of the Mercator is nicer in the pocket.

16. Marsay

Marsay Well-Known Member

Opinel no 8 in carbon steel FTW. You can get it in a fancy wood if that tickles your pickle.

Laguiole I associate with cutlery more than pocket knives - in particular, the 'bee' design that most everyone in France owns in some form or another.

#8 au carbone, same one your grandad had (if your grandad was a Savoyard cowherd):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  17. dddrees

Just arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. dddrees

Just received this the other day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  19. sinnedk

i'm not versed on this but what are the last 2 knives you received? any links by chance in case i want to get one... thanks in advance.

20. dddrees

The first one is by a knife maker from South Africa. His name is Andre Thorburn. He makes a few different models but each knife I've seen is unique with regard to actual handle design in the various materials he uses. These a called flippers or gentleman flippers and the action on these are extremely smooth. I actually wanted one of his knives for about a.year prior to getting one. It took about that long to find one that both aesthetically as well as something that fit my size requirements. Your best bet is to google Andre Thorburn and look at the few places that sell the limited amount of knives that he sells. If you find one you like it would be best to jump on it quickly.

The second one is a Rocksteady Shu. These are made by a knife maker from Japan. These are consider Semi-Custom knives and they only make a few different models. I ordered this knife last March and their production run for this specific model wasn't until late November for a couple of reasons. If you wish to order this specific model after looking at the other models they make you might want to do it fairly soon because after it runs out you may have to wait another year to get one. You can either check Rocksteads website or their Rockstead Shop website. As of the last I checked just the other day Blade Hqs had that very model for sale.

Cheers,

Dan

1 person likes this.