1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

general opinion on monkstraps for young guys

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Jul 2, 2005.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't own a pair, but I'm considering buying some. I usually wear loafers but am looking to branch out with my shoe collection. Would monkstraps look odd on a 25yr old? I'm thinking probably not, but I'm resistant to change... My look is typically flat front pants, loose cottons/linen in the summer (think armani cuts) but more european and tailored in the fall/winter. These would be for everday wear. Should i buy a pair while they're on sale? I think i like them, but then it usually takes me a while to adjust to something new.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I would not worry about your age. The monk is a great shoe and very versatile. I would go for it.

3. j

j Well-Known Member

If you usually wear loafers, then monkstraps are not a big leap. I would definitely do it. Assuming they are not cheap ones (well, usually even if they are) women seem to love them. If that weighs on your decision at all.

4. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm being dim, but I don't see why anyone would think that monkstraps are age-inappropriate for a 25 year old. Button-up ankle boots with white twill from the throat of the shoe and above? Yeah, those might look a little odd on most young guys, but not monkstraps.

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

A number of my 20-something year old friends wear monkstraps. Granted, many of them are by Ecco and Kenneth Cole, but they're monkstraps nonetheless....

I'm currently in the market for a set of decent plaintoe monkstrap myself. I have two pairs that I wear frequently, but they're algonquin toes with the vibram commando half soles and would not the best choice for dressier wear.

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

Some of you guys may boo me when I say this, but for young guys who cannot afford expensive monk shoes, try Hugo Boss ones. I think they look extremely sleek, but cemented.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Im a young guy and I ONLY wear monkstraps or boots (when I'm wearing dressier shoes)

8. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Well-Known Member

Bought this pair of Mantellasi's when I was 26 LOL... Get many compliments everytime I wear them.... You can wear monks with just about everything too... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

For those that asked, I can't really explain why I think monkstraps might seem weird on a young guy. I guess it's partly because i've never really seen any guys my age wearing them. Then again, I don't see too many wearing loafers either, but then, I suppose that's why i get so many compliments on the way I dress from girls compared to other guys i know. And geez guys, i know i haven't been a regular poster in a really long time, but a little credit please? Do you really think I'm gonna go out and buy a cheap pair of shoes? After all, remember where we all are [​IMG]

10. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

GQ: Since you're asking for opinions, I would not recommend monkstraps. I'd recommend a dressier look. Maybe some Santoni tassel loafers. Or some of the ones on ebay I posted. I prefer ostrich to all other leathers. If you like them, take a look at the Vigotti Neals at Zappos.com. They're on sale for around $344. They might have your size. If you don't like those, take a look at the Belvedere Udines. Around $444. And, of course, ebay has some really nice ones for much less. In fact, I found Belvedere Sellas for around $325 (I think).

11. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

i'm 20 i wear them. Girls love them.

12. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

I wore them all the time from the age of about 15 or so until about 18. I'm 20 now. Ladies did, indeed, love them.

I wear boots almost all of the time now.

13. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I'm not a young guy (only young at heart), but I bought my first pair of monkstraps in March and I love them. They're as comfortable as loafers, but my heels don't slip, so the monkstraps feel more secure. I also like the style a lot. I hesitated to buy them because I was worried that monkstraps would look out of place on a 40-something. [​IMG] Now I don't give it a second thought.