• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General everyday cologne

ustudent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any suggestions for a general everyday cologne? I always used to buy the cheap swiss army colognes but want to buy a good general cologne now, and need help picking out one. Thanks.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These should all be fairly easy to find in Canada. Thierry Mugler Cologne (Soapy Green - Very easy to wear - Sephora should have this)
P128705_hero.jpg
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Soapy clean professional scent - Sephora again)
tomgv.jpg
YSL Live Jazz (Grapefruit Coriander)
889M.jpg
Aramis New West (Melon Sandalwood)
2564.jpg
Gendarme (Ultra clean, like a freshly starched shirt)
442M.jpg
Dior Fahrenheit (Gasoline Violet - Wait 20 min before deciding on this one. Sephora should have this)
(M)%20Christian%20Dior%20-%20Fahrenheit.jpg
Kiehl's Musk (Dirty Yet Clean Musk - Wait 30 min before deciding)
KIE15_W.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Grey Vetiver. Never get tired of it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
if i only had one cologne it would be acqua di parma.

Reaction score
check out bulgari or the chanel allure homme sport frags.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guest
check out bulgari or the chanel allure homme sport frags.

Pretty much I switch up between the bvlgari line right now.

Fahrenheit? They still make that stuff? It's strong and it's ok for the winter but in the summer the smell makes you feel sick. Definitely not an everyday.

Emporio Armani is one of my favorites for everyday. It's a light scent that just goes well after a shower. Not to strong and it just takes that fresh clean feeling and turns it up to 11. Been using this one on and off for 15 years I'd imagine.

danxaz

Reaction score
I use this stuff from a seller on Etsy. It's a solid cologne meaning it comes in a little can kind of like lip balm. It's pretty strong and the scents are unlike anything I've smelled. I like earthy natural scents so these are perfect for me. The seller's name is Madame Scodioli. She sells all kinds of good stuff for men. My favorite scent is "Elyria". "Step Right Up" is good too but powerful. Get a sample pack. The price is super low and you can get a sense of her style.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danxaz
I use this stuff from a seller on Etsy. It's a solid cologne meaning it comes in a little can kind of like lip balm. It's pretty strong and the scents are unlike anything I've smelled. I like earthy natural scents so these are perfect for me. The seller's name is Madame Scodioli. She sells all kinds of good stuff for men. My favorite scent is "Elyria". "Step Right Up" is good too but powerful. Get a sample pack. The price is super low and you can get a sense of her style.

doooode. Thanks for this. Shes got some great scents it looks like. Gonna order some.

Elusive

Reaction score
+1 Acqua di parma although Polo Blue easily trounces all other scents

ustudent

Reaction score
Alright, I think I have enough suggestions to go out and test some of the colognes you guys have recommended! Thanks everyone!

Also, do you guys recommend buying a sperate cologne for going out to the bars or a club? What do you guys do yourself? Do you have more than one cologne?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ustudent
Alright, I think I have enough suggestions to go out and test some of the colognes you guys have recommended! Thanks everyone! Also, do you guys recommend buying a sperate cologne for going out to the bars or a club? What do you guys do yourself? Do you have more than one cologne?
You can do that and a lot of other guys have a clubbing scent as well a daytime fragrance. Not mandatory, though. These tend to be stronger and sweeter, such as Rochas Man, Body Kouros, Musk Ravageur, Original Santal, 1 Million, many more. I'm not a fan of much of the evening stuff. My biggest compliment getter by far is Creed Aventus, which is a pretty versatile Spring-Summer-Fall scent. Some guys have 1 cologne, some have hundreds as part of a collection. Take your time, sample many, and don't buy anything on the spot. If you find a fragrance you like, try the scent out on your skin for the whole day to see if you like the way it progresses.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
doooode. Thanks for this. Shes got some great scents it looks like. Gonna order some.

Why can I not find this? What am I supposed to be searching for?
confused.gif

Edit: I found it. I am dumb

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
I've heard raving reviews of Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My all-time favorite scent is Creed's Bois du Portugal, but it's too intense for summertime use. In the Summer, I switch off between Terre d'Hermes, YSL Live Jazz, and Creed Himalaya. When I go dancing (not clubbing, but ballroom or swing dancing, with partners I'm likely to see again) and don't want something too overpowering, I wear any of the latter three Summer scents. I also wear JPG's Le Male occasionally (not in Summer), but I'm not a big fan of aquatics like Acqua di Parma.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads