• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Decisions, decisions..... I'm torn!
37fbf7ce.jpg

3a3baa82.jpg

6f199ec5.jpg

b0d216b8.jpg
S5 Team with an Ultegra Di2 build vs. R5 VWD limited edition with SRAM Reds
Most people think the S5 is OOGLAY but I find it gorgeous...like F1 gorgeous... My LBS is giving me a great deal on an R5 VWD LTD and if I do get it, I'll be swapping out the Red's for the Shimano Di2 - reminds me of the paddle shifts on my Formula Mazda :)
I drove both today for a good 15min. and funny enough, while the R5 is spectacular on white paper with all the upgraded parts - I still feel faster and at home with the S5. I felt it as soon as I took off on the parking lot and same feeling coming back to the dealership. Only difference between the 2 when I tested were the chainring sizes. 53/39 on S5 and 50/34 on R5. I'm used to pushing bigger gears on my track bike (49t going up 8% gradients) so that might be a big part of the 'feel'
I've already put a 20% transferrable down payment and will be doing another test ride with each on 5%-8% gradients to see how each climbs and descends.
As for now my gut goes with the S5. I do not think I can go wrong with either as I'm not at a high level of cycling to be able to tell such minute differences but the offer they are giving me on the R5 is superb....not to mention limited edition paint.... just not my type of color.
Aesthetics and feel go to the S5
Prestige and price over product goes to the R5

What kind of terrain do you normally ride on? I'd def go for the R5 if you have the steeps and twisties.

Last edited:

ianGP

Reaction score
I like a little overkill ;)

I'll give thoughts after a longer ride either Sunday or Monday.
One thing is for sure though - as far as groupsets go, I'll be getting the Ultegra Di2 - slight bit heavier but I love the feel of it.

ianGP

Reaction score

What kind of terrain do you normally ride on? I'd def go for the R5 if you have the steeps and twisties.

I've got some great mountain routes nearby that I go on for recreational rides/training.

But most of my rides are just going to be small rolling hills(less than 5% grade) and flats....with alot of wind :( . Where I live are fairly new development and wide open roads.

If it helps paint a better picture - I'm planning on doing quite a few crits next year. And also a few centuries - you know, hang back with the noobs and show 'em my blingy ride ;)

I do love to climb alot but I have heard feedback from S5 owners/people that have ridden it that it actually behaves well for climbing less than 10% gradients - which is plenty enough for me. So the 'looks' department is what is edging me closer to the S5 and the initial feel when I first got on it.

Again though, what I hear from people can be very different from what I feel when I ride it. For example, from some reviews of the S5 that it is harsh and even so rougher than the R3/R5. Today I rode through brick roads, cracked, pothole ridden streets, and I felt no difference in comfort between the two bikes. Maybe I'm used to it? dunno... but both bikes behaved well and comfortable for me on rough terrains.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got some great mountain routes nearby that I go on for recreational rides/training.
But most of my rides are just going to be small rolling hills(less than 5% grade) and flats....with alot of wind :( . Where I live are fairly new development and wide open roads.
If it helps paint a better picture - I'm planning on doing quite a few crits next year. And also a few centuries - you know, hang back with the noobs and show 'em my blingy ride ;)
I do love to climb alot but I have heard feedback from S5 owners/people that have ridden it that it actually behaves well for climbing less than 10% gradients - which is plenty enough for me. So the 'looks' department is what is edging me closer to the S5 and the initial feel when I first got on it.
Again though, what I hear from people can be very different from what I feel when I ride it. For example, from some reviews of the S5 that it is harsh and even so rougher than the R3/R5. Today I rode through brick roads, cracked, pothole ridden streets, and I felt no difference in comfort between the two bikes. Maybe I'm used to it? dunno... but both bikes behaved well and comfortable for me on rough terrains.

Buy what will make you happy :D

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went for a nice mtn bike ride today. First time off-road in longer than I can remember. Had a blast and in hindsight probably should have stayed out another hour. And my friends let me try out their bikes, switching around between 26" FS and 29" hardtail.

Now I have to go out and get a 26 FS. ****'s expensive even for entry level.

b

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Went for a nice mtn bike ride today. First time off-road in longer than I can remember. Had a blast and in hindsight probably should have stayed out another hour. And my friends let me try out their bikes, switching around between 26" FS and 29" hardtail.
Now I have to go out and get a 26 FS. ****'s expensive even for entry level.
b

^ thats great! hope you had a blast.

so I finally got to build my new fs... well save for the headset- the one on this is a loaner from the shop. been itching to try it on the trails the past weekend, howling tropical storm or not, so I got to test this in the middle of a storm yesterday. note: I know its not a good idea to wash the bike like that, but damn mud caked everything and the guy knows what parts to avoid.

ianGP

Reaction score
SOOOOoooo... quick thoughts on my longer test drives of both S5 and R5 with loooonnngg steep hills. R5 was ridiculously awesome going uphill - my legs were gone yet the bike kept wanting to slip forward from under me to climb some more! It's just a great climber and extremely light. Even in slightly heavier gears, the R5 felt effortless.

The S5 was just balls to the wall, masher's paradise! Flat rolling hills is where it's king. There were alot of headwinds yet it cut through it noticeably easier than the R5. Compared to the uphill climbs, the S5 felt a slight bit heavier than the R5 but doesn't add to any suffering. The descents are a different story! This thing is stupid fast! It feels like a brick being dropped from a tall building, yet it is still nimble and very manueverable - I had to quickly dodge a manhole cover at roughly 36mph and it felt stable.

Went through the same cracks/rough patches/holes and the R5 has marginal comfort but nothing to write home about.

I put my order in for the S5 soon after returning with it on my ride :D The 48cm team frame orders are arriving at the shop sometime this August but the guys were going to search around for me as well.

Ride what you can afford to crash!
A lot of people switch down their bikes for criterium. CAAD10, for example, is still a favourite for crits.

This was a bonus! R5 frames start around $5k whereas S5's start at $3k, along with Cervelo's crash replacement discount for damaged frames, the S5 is much more affordable to replace.

Hopefully the fellas find me one sometime this week, otherwise I'd have to wait for their shipment to come in.

Last edited:

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ thats great! hope you had a blast.
so I finally got to build my new fs...

Yeah, I had a great time.

That's an Ibis isn't it? Beautiful. I'm thinking I'll try to spend around 1500. More than that and my wife will kill me. But that gives me some options.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ yup ibis mojo sl-r... had been in the waiting list for more than a year, and very satisfied- for a fullsusser, its pretty stiff.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks man.

I'm curious, what is the best way to paint a bike. I hate the current color scheme. Or is this not recommended? 

Sorry, no idea about painting a carbon frame.

ianGP

Reaction score
http://www.creativecycleworks.com/

that guy's done some good work according to bikeforum peeps.

I've had no such experiences though but I am under the assumption that any paint shop that has had experience with painting carbon fiber bits can do a bike frame.....keyword: assumption.

Great bike nonetheless! Do snap some pics when you get a chance!

ssnyc

Reaction score
Took this one out for a spin today. 60 miles with a few stops for photos :).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads