• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
any suggestions for minimalist bike helmets? I like the bern helmets, but something even smaller/simpler would be nice

Google the term "dahon folding helmet". I haven't seen one in person but the videos I've seen look cool.

Also, the Bell Tony hawk helmets are pretty minimalist.

Bern helmets look cool and all, but a lot of them aren't even certified for bike riding. They have such minimal padding that they probably don't meet certification. I looked at one that said not for biking, snowboarding, etc (!). Look at the inside labels to be sure.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
Google the term "dahon folding helmet". I haven't seen one in person but the videos I've seen look cool. Also, the Bell Tony hawk helmets are pretty minimalist. Bern helmets look cool and all, but a lot of them aren't even certified for bike riding. They have such minimal padding that they probably don't meet certification. I looked at one that said not for biking, snowboarding, etc (!). Look at the inside labels to be sure.
that folding helmet is sick! damn expensive though.. $130 damn i've been spending way too much money on my bicycle endeavors.. edit: and it seems like it's not for sale in the US..

roundabout

Reaction score
Someone mention bikes??
164878_1639267095826_1061220247_31516601_4528255_n.jpg
That was last week's race. This week's race I went down with two laps to go since the bloke whose wheel I was on decided to crash... My bike:
DSC_1015.jpg
DSC_1006-1.jpg

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great looking bike and shot. I just won a new frame on ebay, a Ridley Pegasus. Our first race is on Feb 5th, Boulevard race, and the day after we have another, Red Trolley crit.

roundabout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
That's a great looking bike and shot. I just won a new frame on ebay, a Ridley Pegasus. Our first race is on Feb 5th, Boulevard race, and the day after we have another, Red Trolley crit.
Hey thanks! I'm in love with the bike. It may be on the heavier side as an aero aluminum frameset, but it's stiff as all hell. Feb 6th I'll probably be at the Cherry Pie Crit, and then the following weekend is our Collegiate home race weekend. Switched over to a Specialized Toupe saddle, most comfortable thing I've felt.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, we should have some people going up to Davis for the race, but I won't be able to make it. Davis people will probably come down for Boulevard from what I've heard.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
got 5th out of 40 in collegiate D at Red Trolley crit today

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a solid, moderately priced road clincher tire (700x23) for mostly training and some racing? I'm leaning towards either the Hutchinson Atom Comp, Vredestein Fortezza SE, or the Michelin Kromion. All are priced around $25-30 per tire on different sites.

Kark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zatarregaza
Anyone recommend a solid, moderately priced road clincher tire (700x23) for mostly training and some racing? I'm leaning towards either the Hutchinson Atom Comp, Vredestein Fortezza SE, or the Michelin Kromion. All are priced around $25-30 per tire on different sites.

For budget tires I'd recommend Kenda. Probably C2C or Konstrictor. Allegedly durable with decent grip. Can't remember anyone commenting on the ride specifically.

I have to admit that I haven't run kendas on my road bike (yet) but have a tonne of experience with their MTB tires and their price to performance is second to none. A few friends have run the kendas on road with decent reviews though.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've had good luck with Fortezzas.
Decent flat resistance (although that could just be luck) and I can get them on my wheels with a minimum of cursing even when new.

gastarbeider

Reaction score

stelvios for $24 a tire.

lithions for $19 a tire.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the schwalbes

Or you could spend a pinch more and get some duranos which would last longer...If you have the clearance you can go 25s too which will really make the ride more comfortable and add next to no rolling resistance.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
I finished 2010 with my bike build...

I ended up just swapping out parts then eBay-ing the rest to save money.... luckily parts from the old bike sold well.

I did the "budget weight weenie" method and ended up shaving almost two pounds (around 1.7lbs) off my bike for around $200.

the whole process was documented here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...p?f=10&t=80605

if you're into biking and still don't really know "weight weenie-ism" i beg you never to get into it... its a loosing battle (budget/time/sanity wise) any way you cut it.

Before: 18.8lbs

5182455707_f1dc78c6ea_z.jpg

After: 17.13lbs

5281686512_d8cc1e0112_b.jpg

the funny/sad thing is.... 17lbs is considered "obese" by roadbike standards...

well I couldn't stop and got the weight weenie disease:

now its 15.15lbs with a new fork and whole new SRAM Red group set.

5500153096_72091105ed_b.jpg

Details about the whole build, components list, weights, ect is
here.

I'm done saving weight on this damn bike... its time to ride the hell out of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads