1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling USA Trunk Show Schedule April 2007

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iyorito, Feb 21, 2007.

1. EvEr37

EvEr37 Well-Known Member

Well, I am no shoe expert, but I think we need some more information. Dress? casual? Are there any holes you want to fill in your shoe collection? Do you want something traditional? More edgy? And so on.

Yeah I gues i could of been a little clearer. Ok gotta be dress, edgy is good, no black. Honestly I don't really NEED another pair of shoes so i'm really just looking for something different. You can pretty much see that I don't really know what to get. If some of you were to buy a G&G shoe today what would you get?

thanks again

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Yeah I gues i could of been a little clearer. Ok gotta be dress, edgy is good, no black. Honestly I don't really NEED another pair of shoes so i'm really just looking for something different. You can pretty much see that I don't really know what to get. If some of you were to buy a G&G shoe today what would you get?

thanks again

Here's link to a ton of bespoke models that Tony created for either G&G or EG. Seek and you shall find....[​IMG]

http://homepage.mac.com/syrit/PhotoAlbum7.html

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Here's link to a ton of bespoke models that Tony created for either G&G or EG. Seek and you shall find....[​IMG]

That's sweet. Who compiled this photoalbum - Tony himself?

4. EvEr37

EvEr37 Well-Known Member

That's alot of shoes. Thanks for the link.

5. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

All this makes me frustrated that I missed CSE (got called away on a business trip that proved useless in the end. Grr...). I'm interested in G&G shoes, but I don't want to waste their time and fear I won't be in a position to place any orders in April... Would have been nice to see them in the flesh, though. Anyone want to invite me along to their appointment in April? [​IMG]

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Anyone want to invite me along to their appointment in April? [​IMG]
    Sure.

7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

thanks again

I am not one for Tony's more modern models but the G&G full brogue may be the best looking ready to wear oxford I've ever seen.

8. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

I am not one for Tony's more modern models but the G&G full brogue may be the best looking ready to wear oxford I've ever seen.

which one is this the savoy or the michell?

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I'm meeting with Tony on 4/20 in NYC...[​IMG]

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

I imagine he means the Rothschild, which is just an incredible shoe. I couldn't resist it last October. Can't wait until I get it (hopefully soon).

11. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I imagine he means the Rothschild, which is just an incredible shoe. I couldn't resist it last October. Can't wait until I get it (hopefully soon).

Yes, the Rothschild.

12. EvEr37

EvEr37 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Rothschild.

That's the one pair that I am sure about. Ordering in black on MH71 last. Still have no idea what to order for the second pair.

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

That's the one pair that I am sure about. Ordering in black on MH71 last. Still have no idea what to order for the second pair.

If you haven't been fitted, I'd order one to start. Tony said that the fit is the same as an EG 888 and I took a flyer based on that, but only for one pair.

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

If you haven't been fitted, I'd order one to start. Tony said that the fit is the same as an EG 888 and I took a flyer based on that, but only for one pair.

so with that i am assuming you have ordered the Rothschild - but on which last di you get it on?

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

thanks again

I would get one of G&G's twists on the classics -- e.g., Savoy, Hanly, Antibes. If I order a pair, the first one would probably be the Savoy in mole suede. A dark brown cap-toe brogue is a classic, and the V-cap gives it a fresh spin.

The Rothschild on the smart round last was at CSE. It is an amazing shoe.

16. teddieriley

Just curious as to what to expect from visiting Tony at his site.

So I'm assuming you peruse the shoes he brings with him on tour, and with the MTO program you can select the last, leather, and color. Are adjustments made to the shoes in order to accomodate, for example, lower insteps?

Is the price of 455 BPS + 75 BPS for trees the same across the board for all shoes (assuming no extra handwork required), regardless of last and leather?
    Do they expect entire payment up front, or can you leave a deposit?

Thanks.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

It's 445, not 455. Shoes with more handwork are 500. Those prices get you any leather in his MTO swatch book. He also has a separate book that has swatches for bespoke shoes only; he considers that stuff too delicate for factory machines and won't use it for MTO shoes.

There are, essentailly, two different lasts and four different toe shapes. One last is for lace-up/buckle shoes, the other is for slip-ons. You can choose any of the four toe shapes for either last, I believe. Certainly, any of the four toe shapes can be done on the lace-up/monk last. Again, same price.

On his first trip to NY, he had one sample for every model in the catalogue. Since then, the samples have scattered a bit. In London, in January, he had maybe 12 or 15. Last week in NY, there were about two dozen. I assume when he comes back in April, he will have them all.

They also have a range of "try on" shoes -- unfinished black oxfords made solely to give you an idea of the fit. Last week, they had every size through 12 in a D fitting, as well as several (but not all) in E fittings. Dean said that they have made them all up in E as well as D, however, and he expects to have the full range in NY in April.

It's best to talk to them directly about fit adjustments. My own experience is that they will be as flexible as they can be, but can't do just anything. These are after all still factory made, standardized shoes. So if you just need a little stretching here or there, then probably, yes. A lower instep? I don't know, and would be skeptical

They expect payment of half up front. It might have been slightly less than half, but it was about that.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

. On his first trip to NY, he had one sample for every model in the catalogue. Since then, the samples have scattered a bit. In London, in January, he had maybe 12 or 15. Last week in NY, there were about two dozen. I assume when he comes back in April, he will have them all. They also have a range of "try on" shoes -- unfinished black oxfords made solely to give you an idea of the fit. Last week, they had every size through 12 in a D fitting, as well as several (but not all) E fittings. Dean said that they have made them all up in E as well as D, however, and he expects to have all those in NY in April.
    I have heard that most better shoemakers don't make sizes above 10.5. Is this true [​IMG][​IMG].

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I have heard that most better shoemakers don't make sizes above 10.5. Is this true [​IMG][​IMG].
    Only little wiener frogs.

20. teddieriley

Thanks Manton, you are most informative.

I know this is a bespoke shoe off their website, but can anyone tell me if I wanted at least something similar would I be able to get it from their MTO? What would the last shape be, color, and style? This shoe is absolutely exquisite. It looks like the RLPL Mackays/EG Asquith, but way better IMO since it doesn't have that blunt bottlenose dolphin toe as the Mackays.

[​IMG]