1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

So far just conditioner. I can't imagine ever using wax as I would never need a spit shine. I can see where a colored cream might mess up some of that character since it actually has darker lines in the leather.

2. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Figured but had to ask but make sense

3. dddrees

It might be good a some point to use some colored cream at some point, but unfortunately I think that might also cover up some of the dark lines high give the leather such character. Or at least that's my thinking.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. TtownMD

Make sense but I think it will be while before isham need any color cream besides bick 4 :D

5. dddrees

That's what I'm hoping as well.

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

What I`ve found is that using neutral colorless creams leaves a whitish residue over time, and its best to add color from time to time if not every time. I`m going to alternate between Hermes Red Saphir cream and Burgundy after wearings. But the texture of the leather looks like it will need much less care than a smooth calf skin. Quite the most incredible leather in a shoe I have ever had.

1 person likes this.
  7. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Well-Known Member

I'm seeing red today...

[​IMG]
    "Care Package" from Skoaktiebolaget :)

[​IMG]
    Straight outta the box...

[​IMG]
    Leather detail.

[​IMG]
    Laced up with burgundy laces (Thanks J. Fitzpatrick)!

In-the-wild photos tomorrow!

(Cross-post with SKOAKTIEBOLAGET - CARMINA, BONAFÈ, CARLOS SANTOS, SAINT CRISPIN'S, GAZIANO & GIRLING - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD.)

4 people like this.
  8. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this for me!!! Now I'll have to see which ones I want! lol

9. dddrees

I've never experienced this white residue with conditioners. I have however experienced this with neutral wax.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  10. Faster

Faster Well-Known Member

What does GG say about care for this leather? Pretty sure there are afew posts on this on the Shoe care drama thread

I've always leaned to darker polishes to avoid the higher concentration of a lighter color in the crevasses resulting in some weird contrast. I feel Hermes is too bright. Even a touch of black every once in a while may add a nice patina over time.

White does leave a residue, altho I found Burgol neutral wax to have less than Saphir.

11. dddrees

But I'm not talking about a polish in this instance but rather a conditioner only. I've yet to experience any white residue when using a conditioner. My concern would be that any colored cream may alter the color of the darker lines one can see running through this particular leather.

12. Easily Amused

Now you've got some interesting pedal counterpoints to all those wonderful Eidos tailored pieces - pics in the wild, please!

13. Easily Amused

As promised some action shots (well, OK, I was sitting down, but close enough :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Doing some cross posting with NO MAN WALKS ALONE - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD, along with SKOAKTIEBOLAGET - CARMINA, BONAFÈ, CARLOS SANTOS, SAINT CRISPIN'S, GAZIANO & GIRLING - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD...)

1 person likes this.
  14. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

Beauties - are those your first G&G`s?

15. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

Same here. I've never had residue from just using Saphir Reno but have found it using Saphir neutral wax. In a perfect world neutral would make sense if you really like the color/patina of your shoes and want to "lock it in" but I think the beauty of Kudu is the irregularity and I'd rather just condition when necessary and just enjoy watching them patina naturally. Strikes me as the type of leather that the more you wear the better they look.

Point is, between TTownMD and dddreess I'm starting to realize I need to add some kudu into my life.

Do you find it any more comfortable than calf?

16. dddrees

I don't find this particular Kudu wears significantly different than calf. I did find the one pair I have in my possession to be rather comfortable, but I attributed that to how well the MH71 Last fits my feet. It was a bit snug initially which is generally a good sign but rather comfortable not to long after I started wearing them. I always wear mine three times for about an hour each time before wearing them for any long period of time. This seems to help me anyway. So although there is a texture to the leather it still feels more like regular calf and not as pliable as Scotch Grain or Country Calf.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. TtownMD

Hey I would recommend kudu highly very rugged & not as delicate as calf & need less up keep compare to calf etc.

18. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I've got another two pairs on the way too! haha

19. Easily Amused

Thanks daizawaguy, they're actually my sixth pair! (One more, a pair of Deco Wildes in black calf, on the way...)

20. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

Interesting... thanks.