1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Wensum isn't any sleeker than single Dainite.
    Wensum:

[​IMG]

Dainite:

[​IMG]

2. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Yep, it will be a pretty sweet boot for sure. The specs should result in one of those rare derby boots that work well with a suit as well as dressed down.

I'm putting on hold any plans to grab a mid-brown bal boot until I see how these work in person.

3. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

All right all right for some reason I have no idea why Danite dose not work with my feet long hours. I have tried them with EG, Vass, EB. Carmina etc so know I stick with leather sole or wensum type leather or just carry shoe & boot covers lol or just use beater shoes out in bad weather :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Hey - nothing wrong at all with preferring one over the other. As I said earlier, Wensum has a bit of a softer feel than Dainite - which some might prefer and others not (me, for example).

But it's nothing to do with the sleekness of the sole itself. We often see Dainite paired with a leather midsole - which definitely increases thickness (and looks good on a casual boot, IMO) but that's purely optional.

Both are vastly superior to leather for all-weather wear, IMO. Life's too short for boot covers or ugly beater footwear! [​IMG]

5. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

It depends what kind of Dainite. Single dainte soles are soft but when paired with leather midsoles as Roger points out, they become very stiff.

6. TtownMD

Lol very true I just have too many shoes & boot on single leather sole then recently I started picking up Danite & now will add wensum type leather sole. I just can't get myself to topy, my G&G, EG or stcrispin shoes & boot sadly.

7. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I hear you.

I have Topyd a few in my time, but these days I tend to either go full leather with toe taps (heck, there are enough clear, dry days in any given year) or full synthetic. But I find that it is an increasingly rare event that I choose leather from the outset.

8. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Hmm, is our Voak Thorpe GMTO on single Dainite? :happy: @Leaves

9. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

I'm liking the Wensum idea for a dressy Thorpe E-width GMTO (jealous that all you wide-footed brethren have had all the fun of late!) Keep me posted!

1 person likes this.
  10. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

That's a good question as I'm still learning. My feet are slim, low instep.

EG Nevis 606 UK9D - length fine, D still too high in forefoot. Need a insole/sockliner or C next time.
    EG Galways 82 UK9D - pretty good fit.
    EG Alderleys 202 UK9D - same as Nevis.
    I tried all these in UK8.5E as well and they were too short.

GG Isham MH71 UK9E - too long, wide/high.
    GG Canterburies GG06 UK8.5E - perfect snug but comfy fit. Would try same size for MH71 next time.

Conclusion: EGs are shorter but wider in fit than same sized GGs for me.

It is when you cross your legs casually and the sole can be seen. (#dressboot) ;)

11. TtownMD

Very nice so you picked up G&G black Canterbury lol 9uk E work very well on G&G for me. EG 8.5 E uk works very well tried 9uk E was too spacious on 606 Dover.

1 person likes this.
  12. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

No two feet are the same. (Duh) ;)
    If you asked me, it sounds like you sized down in length for EG to compensate for the width. Probably a 9D would work, too.
    FWIW, I held my 8.5 Canterburies against my 9 Nevis and the "corpus" length (heel to toe, not sole) was absolutely the same, meaning GGs are longer than EGs in my experience.

13. TtownMD

You may be right I had eg Dover 606 last to work with 9uk & 8.5uk 9uk felt spacious so tried 8.5uk & just stick with all eg 8.5uk worked well & G&G new shoe could not get my feet in with regular dress sock so had to use fine dress sock till they break in. Since then sticking with 9uk for g&g

1 person likes this.
  14. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Thanks and I'll have to check. I have heard many great things of Pantherella but have never checked if they can make socks large enough for me.

15. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I love them!!

I actually just ordered a pair of Deco Mitchell in midnight blue, but with the darker burnishing just on the toe and heel so the lighter shade will show on the rest of the shoe. They are making me a Deco last so I'm excited!!!!!

I'll make sure to keep you guys posted on them!

1 person likes this.
  16. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I don't have any on wensum either but I will have to try it out for one pair. I usually just stick with leather and have a couple shoes on dainite and/or vibram, but I'm not a huge fan. I like the softer feel so wensum may work well for me too!

thanks for the tips!!

17. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I'm happy that I'm done with EG. that was too much of a pain to work out the differences between both brands even though they were originally supposed to be sized about the same. haha

it is much better for me to just stick with GG now!

18. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Confirm.

19. TtownMD

Dude give them a try I bought them from leffot & local jcrew store very solid sock choice.

1 person likes this.
  20. lartiste

lartiste Well-Known Member

Great! Many thanks!