• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hmm so even the Deco range's shoe tree is spring loaded instead of hinged. :(
too be honest there is not much defference i feel between the 2 other that weight

Matis

Reaction score
Trunk show starting in New York, Wednesday at Leffot, then Thursday and Friday at the Benjamin Hotel in Midtown.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Trunk show starting in New York, Wednesday at Leffot, then Thursday and Friday at the Benjamin Hotel in Midtown.

whihc one will you be going too? please take pictures TG said there will be some different shoes on show this time

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am no expert but most bespoke shoes uses lasted/hinged trees for some reason.
looks better - but having both hinge and spring loaded both from G&G i really notice no difference as they are both lasted

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

too be honest there is not much defference i feel between the 2 other that weight

hinged is more sophisticated for us old schoolers :fistbump:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

claes500

Reaction score
Ah ha! Gold! Black gold!

6235598433_43d1c0315a_z.jpg

6235599601_29f89f5d05_z.jpg

6235600383_50c33babcc_z.jpg

:drool:

Deco Black looks really great. Purple-blueish in those pics.. might mess up my decision on racing green Vs Midnight Blue on Deco Cooper

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wait! Look! There's something else in this box! What is it?...

great, i mean super sexy, looking shoes mang! somehow i missed your post last night. enjoy em broham.

looks better - but having both hinge and spring loaded both from G&G i really notice no difference as they are both lasted

i have only had spring loaded, but i would imagine the potential for a spring to go bad is greater than the chance of the hinge going bad. as well once a spring pops you are pretty much SOL, where as when a hinge come loose you can tighten it. small differences, but i could see the reason why at such a price point one would want the best possible options.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am no expert but most bespoke shoes uses lasted/hinged trees for some reason.
hinged is purtier n more old school as Gerd says but sprung is better 1. applies more stretching force = good esp for cordo 2. easier to insert n less likely to damage top of counter

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hinged is purtier n more old school as Gerd says but sprung is better 1. applies more stretching force = good esp for cordo 2. easier to insert n less likely to damage top of counter

if its really that beneficial, why do most bespoke shoe makers uses hinged trees? just curious.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tradition - my guess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads