1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

thanks SG. I have two pairs of EG trees on order. I just use my Woodlore trees until they come in. Was just thinking to grab a few pairs of Skoaks trees.

2. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Yep, EG trees a fairly impossible to find right now. I got lucky and found an EG RL Lasted tree in my size on Bay. I looked a few times last week, and nothing. I just looked the other day and saw it. It had only been listed for a few days before I saw it. Its in the 888.

I purchased one on the 202 Last from Leffot a little over a week ago, but the had nothing in my size on the 82\888 Lasts. Leffot really doesn't have many EG trees left right now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

wonder if we could go direct to get them

4. dddrees

Don't know, but I would imagine the problem exists at the supplier more than it exists at EG and them not getting them to their retailers. Just a guess.

5. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

your guess is probably right on I think i'll take a run at it just to see what happens

6. dddrees

Certainly can't hurt to try.

Good Luck,

Dan

7. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

I am on waiting list with leffot for g&g shoe tree & couple of EG lasted shoe tree from GF hope fully they will come in soon.

8. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Skoab shoe trees fit better than the new generic lasted G&G trees for me. They fit a little big though in my experience, size 9 Skoab fits 9.5F G&G well. EG I find their trees fit better but woodlore epics work almost as well (90% or so, vamp not filled out as well as an EG tree).

My mindset is if you can afford $1k for shoes you can afford $100-175 for trees. Edit and having no 9.5% sales tax is already covering the shoe tree cost anyways

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "generic lasted"? I'm not understanding why any tree would fit better than a lasted shoe tree. I have one of the new ones (non-laquered), seems to fit perfectly.

I agree with your statements re EG trees. I have one branded EG trees and the woodlore of the equivalent ones from hanger project are very similar.

11. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

The old G&G shoe trees were last specific, for example shoe trees for last TG73 were made to fit that last. New G&G shoe trees are generic in the term that one shoe tree can fit any of G&G lasts.
    Here is the example of TG73 lasted shoe trees
    [​IMG]

Here is another example of GG06 lasted shoe trees
    [​IMG]

12. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

13. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

I think that is correct. All new G&G shoe trees are essentially built on MH71 last and they can fit all other G&G lasts.
    Old shoe trees were last specific. For example the shoe trees I have for DG70 last would not fit MH71 lasted shoes. I know I have tried.

14. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

^ Thanks, good to know.

15. TtownMD

That is not true at least the trees I bought from Leffot said each tree is made for individual last and it's not dark color. But I just tried what you said, meaning Tg73 shoe tree on my G&G shoe that is on different last it's not fully filling the shoe out. Not saying you are wrong I am just sharing my experience. For what's it's worth I also emailed soak about it and they replied the new trees are not lasted but they are cut to accommodate the last individually. Meaning TG73 tree is cut & fill tg73 last & so on.

16. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

I believe you, however in old days G&G offered natural lasted shoe trees too. It is possible that Leffot still has old stock shoe trees.

These from Dandy Shoe care site are for example natural shoe trees made for specifically GG06 last.
    take a look at the bottom of the shoe tree and you will see marking for size, width and last
    [​IMG]

You can see more here
    http://dandyshoecare.tumblr.com/post/121002168250/gaziano-girling-shoe-trees

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I wonder if DG70 would fit the TG73 as they're both considered the "longer" lasts...

18. TtownMD

Good to know well for what's it's worth when I bought ST 2 James pearl grey I asked for lasted shoe tree from soak. They reply & said now days G&G shoe trees are not lasted but they are cut to the last meaning it will accommodate each last accordingly but only difference is that toe box is same on all the shoe tree. But rest is different to accommodate last to last.

19. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Like Laufer said, new trees are close to lasted but not to specific lasts. Natural color and red I think for in store purchases

New trees just say sizes and width, no last
    [​IMG]

Old trees show size, width and last. Definitely different and better fitting
    [​IMG]

This is just from personal experience, I don't speak for G&G nor stores. Old and new trees both fit shoes well and significantly better than a JAB type tree. If I get opportunity to buy old lasted trees on eBay I'd take them over new trees.

1 person likes this.
  20. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

[
    quote name="stevent" url="/t/236162/gaziano-girling-appreciation-shoe-appreciation-theard/16995#post_8071791"]

Like Laufer said, new trees are close to lasted but not to specific lasts. Natural color and red I think for in store purchases

New trees just say sizes and width, no last
    [​IMG]

Old trees show size, width and last. Definitely different and better fitting
    [​IMG]

This is just from personal experience, I don't speak for G&G nor stores. Old and new trees both fit shoes well and significantly better than a JAB type tree. If I get opportunity to buy old lasted trees on eBay I'd take them over new trees.[/quote]

Speaking of which, did you sell these 10.5 E GG06 shoe trees?