1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Well-Known Member

Very much so...

2. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Damn!!

3. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I have most of what I want - except clothing and footwear. However, most of those pieces are much more manageable, and can be accumulated over years, rather than all at once.

4. economiayocio

economiayocio Well-Known Member

My Hoves...

I made a review on my blog, but it's in spanish.

I think that these are the best pair of Norwegians I have ever had.:

[​IMG]

5. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

I've gotta say, any woman that would accept this kind of talk is probably not worth being with in the first place. Maybe in 1940, but in the 2000's, it's MUCH better to have a woman that "Don't Take No Shit" from ANYONE (including her husband).

When the sh*t hits the fan, and You need real back-up, a woman without "balls" simply can't and won't be there to do what needs to be done...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. isshinryu101

When the lady is worth it, SOME things become less important, replaced by "better & more important". Without my wife, I would've spent all my money on stupid crap a looooong time ago. Often she's the voice of reason.

Of course, the logic above does NOT apply to Fine Shoe Purchases!!!

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

WOW - a fine, retro attitude - keeps 'em in thar place.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

With respect to your experience in shoe making, you are in fact talking to users with their own experience and, if some, like fritzl, find that they've had suede shoes and boots that have held up to their expectations, who can gainsay them?

The user's experience is a perfectly valid way to make his judgements on what he likes and how well his suede has held up, nicht wahr?

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

one needs to make a certain amount of coin to get away with that.

i recall an actor/comedian i think ray romano saying the following;

"whenever my wife complains to me about kissing other women on screen i tell her to go cry in the giant sack money i made for her"

10. isshinryu101

What you say is true to an extent. HOWEVER, DWF always brings a unique perspective to the table. To have held the leather in your hands, long before it becomes a pair of shoes is invaluable to help properly understand what is what.

He's like a mechanic who tells you which car is "best" based on the inner workings, etc. When it comes to finish & style, obviously the end user/ consumer's opinion is what REALLY matters. The suede info is very useful, I think. He makes the point that "most" suede (in the modern shoe world) may well prove to be less long-lasting than, say, calf. Fritzl had a good experience. I have had some good ones as well. BUT, for aomeone who's looking to buy a pair with no experience, DWF's info is fabulous.

11. isshinryu101

It ain't got nothing to do with the coin if she's in it for the long haul. At least when it comes to demanding your respect.

12. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

It's perhaps not as old fashioned and retro as you might think. For one thing my spending is well within my means and both of us know it.

Basically my other half simply never went back to work after moving to Atlanta 8 years ago (we were the long distance couple for a few years previous). What was temporary has become permanent in this regard and I have become the classic pampered husband. I do absolutely nothing around the house, never cook a meal, run an errand, pick up my dry cleaning, help around the house etc. etc. I even go home for lunch! We've found that we are perfectly happy with this arrangement all in all. Although I do admit I feel a certain pressure to bring home the moola that I've never felt before.

You might be surprised how much less you can live on when you don't pay for daily dinners and lunches out, housekeeping, laundry, etc. etc. We also drive 10 year old Fords and live in a smallish but very nice condo that is only 3 miles from my office. I would rather have money in the bank, great vacations, good clothes, etc. etc. than be drug down by the burdens that I previously had of a big house, vacation house at the beach, etc. etc.

I've come to value my time and freedom more than most 'things'.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I resonate with the above post.

14. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Indeed...who can gainsay what someone else likes? I don't know anyone who is trying.

But "likes" are often based on irrational sensibilities and affinities. And sometimes...more often than not if we believe modern psychologists...those affinities, once embraced, cannot be easily altered. Even in the face of facts or a logical exposition of the mechanics of making or materials.

And once a shoe is lasted and made, if it comes anywhere near to fitting the foot, it probably doesn't accrue much strain or stress barring trauma such as kicking the sharp corner of a automobile door. Under those kinds of circumstances even a paper shoe might give good service.

None of that changes the fact that if the "suede" is indeed a split, it is a fiber mat divorced from the very layer (the grain) that provides a great deal of the tensile strength and cohesion to a piece of leather.

The mechanics and logic are indisputable--if you strip off the strongest, tightest, and densest layer of a hide, what remains will be relatively weak...esp. when compared to a hide that has not been split.

That doesn't mean that it needs to be avoided necessarily. I would be interested in a good reliable source of suede. But when viewed in the light of the OP it may not be the best choice for that one and only G&G.

And technically speaking...and in comparison to full grain leathers...it dern sure isn't the "least delicate."

15. in stitches

hoo boy. here is some marriage (and life) advise worth heeding.

if you want to be truly respected by others you do not demand respect, you command it naturally by your actions as a person.

i am not saying this regarding Gdot, its clear from his above post he is doing fine. im saying in in regards to how it seems you view the concept of garnering respect from people.

16. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

:cheers:

17. isshinryu101

You each need some kids to TOTALLY F*CK UP that vision of life. It's better, actually, but certainly shatters pre-conceived notions about responsibility, companionship, comraudery & fun

18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Stitches - you said it!

The only 'respect' worth having is that which is naturally earned. And it's nearly impossible to gain someone's respect if you don't also respect them.

Nor could I 'command' anything over my other half in real life. All 'room' or 'command' that I have is only that which is given - not taken.

I wouldn't have it any other way. That which is 'purchased' from another can always be taken back and that I have no interest in.

-OK - back to shoes!?!?!?!??!?!?

What's your plan for your new G&Gs today Mr. Stitches? Have you checked out the Hayes in Rojo calf at Edwards of Manchester? They are a sweet price!

19. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Ishhy - kids are long gone for me. They do indeed change everything.

I did however, buy my mother a condo recently - and that's a whole 'nother can of worms - parents!

20. in stitches

just to clarify. i didnt mean command as in i command you to do something. i meant it as in the way when you treat others with respect and carry yourself with dignity and honor you create a personality that naturally, lovingly, welcomingly and non-verbally commands respect. basically i think we agree on this one 100%.

as to shoes, my plan is to grow a set and email nick @ bespoke that i want the westmister in vintage oak and ask him to send me a 10.5 and 11 to try on and have one be a MH71 and one be a TG73 and then pick my last based on what i see irl. i even have the $$ set aside i dont know what im waiting on.