1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jamestct

jamestct Well-Known Member

A few points that immediately come to mind:

The G&G 'equivalent' of the EG Asquith is the Burlington, not the Kensington which has a heel counter. The Burlington and Asquith do not have a heel counter. Worth mentioning as a heel counter does change the aesthetic balance of the shoe quite a lot.

Generally, the lighter the shoe the less versatile it will be. The Vintage Cherry looks oh-so-good on the St James but it will be (marginally) less versatile than Dark/Vintage Oak.

G&G and EG are always naturally pitched against each other in comparisons, much as you are doing. It is the obvious thing to do given the respective company histories and the similarities of their model line up. One thing that has changed in the last 5 or so years is their price point; whilst EG has seen relatively small price increases, G&G has seen much higher rises. You will be paying several hundred pounds more for your stock G&G then your stock EG in their London retail stores, particularly after you have factored shoe trees in to the equation.

Fit is the most important consideration - go try them both and see where you get. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Better than asquith? Sir that is a bold statement indeed.....wr finally disagree on something.

3. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Oops. LOL

It's just my opinion.

Either way, one or the other it's a win win. Both shoes are pretty darn nice.

However the St James is something I've been thinking about getting for awhile now.

Besides its the most appealing Adelaide out there in my opinion.

The fact that I already had the AS Moore and I'm a bit concerned about fit and how they'll look on a larger foot are the main reasons I hadn't purchased one already. The kudu version gave me the push I needed.

4. Chowkin

Chowkin Well-Known Member

Basic G&Gs are at £850 and IIRC, Edward Greens start at £670, so less than £200 difference.

I'll also opt for St James II in vintage cherry. Here's the photo which caused me to fall in love with them (note they are bespoke shoes on which St James are based):

[​IMG]

5. jamestct

jamestct Well-Known Member

However you want to describe it, GG with trees are about 30% more than EG with trees.

6. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

What do you think about retail prices for G&G and EG nowadays?. Are they justify for you?. Should those makers sell their shoes just throught the internet.. what should be a reasonable price?. From 900€ down to 550€?. From 1.200€ down to 650 €?. Many of you would think that this is a silly question, but I find those brands retail prices completely outrageous nowadays and I try to figure out what would be a good value for me if I decide to buy them at disccount prices (if possible).

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

If you're doing smart casual and casual, get a derby/blucher, not an oxford.

8. Berners15

Berners15 Well-Known Member

It gets worse as I wouldn't want them in vintage cherry, well I would but I'd prefer the colour in the picture I posted. That means MTO, but it will be the pair they bury me in I think, unless I win the lottery.
    I think people may have noted my passion for Oxfords with jeans and I have to say I rather think I am in the camp of those that think St James may go better, however bespoken pa I also think the Asquiths would look superb [​IMG]
    I very much think I need both, alas decisions decisions, once again thank you gentlemen,

9. dddrees

For me it would be much better if they cost $1. But I realize and I believe they're worth a premium given what you get. What they should be and what they actually cost I have no control overt that. All I know is it's not to the point yet that I'm not willing to pay for them. I mean I could certainly purchase other really good brands for a lot less.

However I am in the position and it's worth it to me to purchase brands at the higher end of the RTW shoe market because I enjoy the things these shoes provide. Some of these things cost money that they have little or no control over to include labor, quality leather, and soles.

To sell items like this just over the Internet would be a big mistake. In this instance no one would have the opportunity to do in person trying them on and sizing. The fact that they are available over the Internet provides the other poor sods like myself with the ability to get them, but this certainly isn't the ideal way by no means. Especially when it comes to shoes that cost this much.

10. Berners15

Berners15 Well-Known Member

Justifying the price of shoes or anything is rather difficult. It is very easy to say how much something costs, what it's worth becomes somewhat subjective. I would think that most of us that contemplate shoes in this price range, we are probably looking at the aesthetics rather than the practicality. It's how they make you feel when you wear them. Tastes vary between us all. I have seen bespoke shoes costing many thousands of pounds on this forum (different thread) that I wouldn't give houseroom to regardless of how they're welted or how much they cost.
    There is something about a high end shoe that transends functionality and IMHO becomes art if the proportions are perfect.
    G&G seem to appeal to me time after time, more so than most. That you pay a premium for that elegance seems correct and proper. Whether that premium is too much for the humble GYW shoe is something only you can decide.

11. dddrees

It's for some of the same reasons why someone chooses to buy a Rolex instead of a Timex, or better yet a Patek instead of a Rolex in this case. They all do the same thing. It's just that one does it in a more.elegant fashion.

12. Zapasman

Well, I am much more concern about quality/price ratio now than before ( I have enough good quality shoes and much more knowledge). Maybe this is not a question for you but I believe that the law of disminishing returns has an end. I am not trying to critize no one here, indeed, I just would like to know a reasonable price for those shoes (no retail margins/profit). The fact that you buy them at those prices should not mean you consider their prices to much for their quality. As an example I would tell you that I would not pay today 748 € for a pair of C&J handgrade Chadwick 2 I own, and I love them.

13. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking most of G&Gs business is not coming from the shoe buffs of styleforum, but rather from people who aren't really that concerned about the price tag.

14. dddrees

See that's the bottom line. Whether it's worth it or not, that in itself is something each potential customer will have to decide for themselves. For me, for now, given what I've seen and experienced, considering what I've determined I prefer, and given the current circumstances, it's still worth it to me.

But I can certainly understand that we may not see it the same way on this particular issue.

15. Zapasman

Sorry, but I do not buy this while comparing to shoes. And I do not share Berners15 opinion either (aesthetics, practicality, feelings, tastes..). I try to analize construcction, tecniques, quality materials, components and finishings ( once I like the model and fits me well). Then I compare to some other makers.

16. Zapasman

Yes we make decisions differently. Maybe I ask you the same question once they reach 1.500€ or 2.000€?.

Be sure I´ll pull the trigger one of this days, but you did not help me much.[​IMG]

17. dddrees

We all continue to reevaluate our decisions as things evolve and change. I've already slowed down with regard to the number of shoes I purchase. My closet hasn't gotten any bigger and my wardrobe is already fairly large. My need is no longer as great but when I chose to do so its at this level at least for now.

1 person likes this.
  18. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Enjoy! :)

19. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Well-Known Member

A quick intermission from this discussion for a pic of GGs in the wild

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  20. ValeriyMahmutov

ValeriyMahmutov Active Member