1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Berners15

Berners15 Well-Known Member

IMHO, and taking on board elsewhere you stated whole cuts 'look a bit long' (I agree on that) - If you have the funds
    [​IMG]
    I think these would get noticed for all the right reasons

2. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

i agree. those are a great choice or a whole cut so you can wear them for other events in the future as well. Versatility is key when spending on this level of shoe

3. andrel42

andrel42 Well-Known Member

Thank you Skoak (@Leaves ) for this fabulous Walkton spectator !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Congrats, I often thought about getting a pair myself.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  5. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Seem in your wheelhouse for sure

6. dddrees

They are, but when things got really serious I decided to go with the Malverns instead.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  7. andrel42

Was lucky enough to grab them in the Skoak odd-stock as soon as I saw the announcement - I'll post some live pics soon !

8. dddrees

Again congrats, my size was long gone by then.

Look forward to your pics.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I think they'd be giving others the shaft

10. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Well-Known Member

Truly stunning shoes!

11. Berners15

There is that great expression that goes 'walk a mile in another man's shoes' - forget that because I think that I would be happy to wear yours all day - you have fabulous taste monsieur, I doff my hat with admiration and respect.
    Mind you I don't envy you the job of trying to polish them [​IMG]

12. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Yea you're right in that spectator style shoes are always tougher to polish with the constant fear of hitting any of the suede but you can just use your finger to apply polish to those areas near the the border of the leather/suede to keep it clean.

13. Berners15

My fingers would be shaking [​IMG]

14. dddrees

Using tape that leaves no residue you can simply use this to protect the suede when polishing. It doesn't have to cover all the suede just the along the edge.

15. Berners15

Anyway guys, I am in a quandary. The trip to London looms ever closer, god I hate going to London. I shall throw it open to the forum to decide as I am torn between three styles at the moment.
    I know it cuts across the grain with some on here but this pair will have dual purpose and duties. They will be used for smart casual and casual most of the time.
    I am locked into the MH71 last and the Edward Green 888 last - which to go for
    G&G Kensington

[​IMG]

G&G St James II
    [​IMG]

or Edward Green Asquith
    [​IMG]
    Obviously fit will have to be a consideration, likewise the colour - probably the colour of the photo of the St James II, I think I will obviously be a bit limited on that with the EG's.
    So which ones would you prefer to put in your cupboard?
    Thanks gents in advance.

16. dddrees

I don't have either, however the last pair I ordered was a pair of St James. So if given the choice of your three and keep in mind I do like the Asquith, I would chose the St James first.

Edward Green tends to be my favorite shoemaker, for a number of reasons however I have a number of their models now and I am ready to get a few of G&Gs at this point. So the thing for me anyway is that in my mind when I think of getting a G&G shoe the St James is the first one that comes to mind. It not only seems to be the most Iconic of the G&G shoes it's also one of if not the best looking one. The Asquith is a good looking shoe, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the St James does. Now hopefully the Last will fit.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  17. andrel42

Ho ho ! I would definitely go for the St James II (very versatile with a suit or with jeans) and I am super pleased with mine! Will you be visiting the Saville Row shop?

PS. Thank you for your kind words in my recent post; I am just a shoe-aholic .. :)

18. Berners15

You're very welcome.
    Yes I shall be doing the rounds, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, Burlington and Royal Arcades, looking at everything I can't afford. I shall wear my chukas rather than my normal Adidas trainers, I think even G&G may consider that one a step too far. To be fair though travelling on the tube is footwear carnage, so I might just wear the trainers after all just to see what they say.
    I know the odd Edward Green asststant has worn a look of affront on their face when I've arrived there in the past, to some degree that is why I didn't bother to even try on Asquith's last time I was there - please take note EG, some of your sales staff are borderline rude.
    The picture of the St James II is very flattering and pinched off
    Skoaktiebolaget​
    , hope you don't mind, your photography of shoes is much better than most - even when I looked back at my post I fell in love with the St James all over again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  19. Berners15

Thank you dddrees, kind of my thoughts too.

20. dddrees

NP, besides like @Andre142 said the St James will work with jeans better, and I think it's a better looking shoe than the Asquith personally. The big concern I have is whether the Last will work for me or not.