1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

like potentially a kudu Thorpe??

1 person likes this.
  2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

:slayer:

3. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

Or a Ram Thorpe.

4. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

i can't wait to eventually get a ram shoe of some sort. Kudu thorpe so we will need something else for the ram. maybe another order of the St. James from a while back. It was a St. James right?

5. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Goodness

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Little bit too much for me. Maybe should have gotten the shaft in something more subtle?

The color on it is amazing though

7. Berners15

Berners15 Well-Known Member

Oh Lord, just when I thought G&G could do no wrong - well each to their own - if you were going fancy I'd have perhaps rather considered these - I do like them in a rather strange way, they are growing on me.
    [​IMG]

8. nmoore82

nmoore82 Well-Known Member

^ like these exotics.
    How does stingray hold up against creasing?

9. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

I just noticed, they managed to line up the scales between the 'lake' and the rest of the vamp perfectly!

It's G&G, yea, but that's some craftsmanship!

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Wow what must a thorpe in gator cost....5-10k?

11. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Wow is all I can say!

1 person likes this.
  12. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Well it surely shows how well they can work with exotics is difficult ways. Definitely not a style for everyone but I love he shading here and that level of detail in lining up the scales.

13. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

First, say, rather, that any other level of detail / craftsmanship is make-shift, expediency on display, and sloppy.

Second, if you simply cut the apron adjacent to the leather that will be used for the sides of the vamp, what seems like a difficult alignment will more or less take care of itself. Of course...and this goes back to the first point...you might jeopardize a more efficient layout (in terms of cutting for maximum yield) if you do that.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  14. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I haven't had any stingray in shop for years but when it first came on the market it looked like nothing so much as a loose mesh of organic fibers (almost like a three-dimensional hair net) upon which hard ivory beads were affixed. Hard to describe but sufficient to say not like other leathers at all.

I always felt it should be backed to be usable. And, because of those beads, it was very hard to sew a clean straight seam on it.

As a consequence, I don't use it. But I think it is an attractive and interesting artifact. Maybe just not for shoes...or at least not in my shop.

I am assuming that these shoes are backed, so creasing shouldn't be a problem at least not with regard to holding together. Whether that loose mesh of fibers will bear up under the inevitable accumulation of dirt and grit and not crack out as a result, is another question. But it seems problematic to postulate a shoe where the backing is cheerfully intact but the stingray cracked out. And I don't think that kind of scenario is out of the question...just my opinion, however.

[Sometimes...in rawhide form...it is known as shagreen (although not all shagreen is stingray)..]

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  15. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Recommendation for the best G&G shoe(s) to be worn with a tux for a classic black tie look? Also, any place in/around NYC to try on the aforementioned shoe(s)? Thanks.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

17. hubertcollins

hubertcollins Member

I agree with the GABLE but look on BESPOKE ENGLAND there is a patent leather black calf called the FORSYTHE, take a look see what you think

18. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Checked out FORSYTHE. Unfortunately, Forsythe will likely not get any wear outside of this occasion. OTOH, Gable is more versatile.

Any places where I can try on the Gable in/around NYC?

19. hubertcollins

hubertcollins Member

Look at LEFFOT in NYC they have the GABLE in suede but at least you can try it on for the fit and then order it from G&G if it works for you :D

1 person likes this.
  20. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Anyone buying these will certainly get the shaft.