• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had them for a few months now and I don't think breaking in is the issue (the 7F is already comfortable first time I wear them but the 7.5E is utterly another story)

the 7F is pressing against my 3rd and 4th toe at toe cap area, this usually happens after walking for some time. But when I try on the MH71 trial shoes (those black Oxford ones at GG), there isn't such problem.

I am given to understand that MH71 and TG73 should fit the same but apparently this is not the case? anyhow I don't have problem fitting on the most standard E last on EG, really dunno what the problem is...

i'm no expert and only know my personal fits in G&G lasts.
am I understanding that 7F in the MH71 fits the way you want but the 7.5E in the TG73 doesn't ?

Last edited:

kydy

Reaction score

i'm no expert and only know my personal fits in G&G lasts.
   am I understanding that 7F in the MH71 fits the way you want but the 7.5E in the TG73 doesn't ?

Lucky you! I have problem with both 7F and 7.5E in TG73

For 7.5E, there is heel slip and my foot slips inside the shoes and it's causing me quite a bit of discomfort

For 7F, fit is perfect and hug my feet nicely so no heel slip and all, but the cap presses against my toes

My fitting on a 7F MH71 Trial shoe don't have the toe cap problem

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky you! I have problem with both 7F and 7.5E in TG73

For 7.5E, there is heel slip and my foot slips inside the shoes and it's causing me quite a bit of discomfort

For 7F, fit is perfect and hug my feet nicely so no heel slip and all, but the cap presses against my toes

My fitting on a 7F MH71 Trial shoe don't have the toe cap problem

I had a similar problem with a loafer on the KN14 but only on the first wear with no problem since. it was
clearly break in

the fit I find odd is a theoretically shorter shoe in a wider fitment has no heel slip but a cramping toe box.
particularly when you were sent a trial shoe which seems to indicate bespoke ?

Last edited:

kydy

Reaction score
Quote: no, not bespoke, just trying on the fitting shoes where GG stock at their showrooms.

if there is cramping toe box on a bespoke shoe, something must have gone really wrong haha

Just wonder if the MH71 has more toe room than the TG73, conventional saying is that they fit the same but apparently this is not the case?

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, not bespoke, just trying on the fitting shoes where GG stock at their showrooms.

if there is cramping toe box on a bespoke shoe, something must have gone really wrong haha

Just wonder if the MH71 has more toe room than the TG73, conventional saying is that they fit the same but apparently this is not the case?
They fit pretty like they were the same last on my feet. I always thought TG73 gave plenty of room around the toes, too.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no, not bespoke, just trying on the fitting shoes where GG stock at their showrooms.

Yes. More toe room for MH71. Width and length are the same. Beware of any cap toe oxfords; they tolerate the least margin of error for fit.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As other have mentioned, even though GG say there is no noticeable fit difference in their lasts, plenty of people have said they the TG 73 is a bit more narrow in the toe box than the others.

I would also like to add that you should be aware of the slightly more generous nature of open laced shoes vs. closed laced models. I notice the more generous vamp in the open laced GG boot I have, compared to the Wigmore in the same size. So, if the model you tried on was an open laced shoe ( and the shoe you bought a close laced shoe), it might explain why it was a bit more comfortable.

As far as your 7F problems, are you saying the only issue is that the captoe is collapsing on your center toes? Or is it cutting into them as you take a step?

Have you tried the 7.5 F? Considering, maybe the 7F is just a bit short on you length wise...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
obviously personal foot shape is the deciding factor, but all their lasts fit me the same way. i am a consistent 11UK in all GG lasts, and they fit me better than any other RTW shoe. but i guess i just have lucky feet.

dlind

Reaction score
Fulfilled a bit of a shoe dream today and bought my first pair of G&G and they are glorious!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slayer: what pair did you buy?

kydy

Reaction score
As other have mentioned, even though GG say there is no noticeable fit difference in their lasts, plenty of people have said they the TG 73 is a bit more narrow in the toe box than the others.

I would also like to add that you should be aware of the slightly more generous nature of open laced shoes vs. closed laced models. I notice the more generous vamp in the open laced GG boot I have, compared to the Wigmore in the same size. So, if the model you tried on was an open laced shoe ( and the shoe you bought a close laced shoe), it might explain why it was a bit more comfortable.

As far as your 7F problems, are you saying the only issue is that the captoe is collapsing on your center toes? Or is it cutting into them as you take a step?

Have you tried the 7.5 F? Considering, maybe the 7F is just a bit short on you length wise...
thanks mate. good to know that I am not the only one with problem on TG73.

the trial shoe i tried on was a closed laced oxford, and the one i bought was a closed laced one too. The only difference is that the one i bought is TG73 and the one I tried was MH71.

yup the only problem with 7F is on the toe cap, and its cutting into my toes when i take step (esp. when i walked for a while), otherwise it fits perfectly and there is no problem when I just wear them and dont walk that much (but hey, what's the point in that!). In fact, the first one i bought (and which I had to let go) was a 7.5E and the heel slippage is causing me quite a big deal of pain and discomfort.

that's the bit I get confused, a lot of people fits well on GG and I dont believe I have a peculiar feet considering I fit well on other shoesmakers like EG on 888 E lasts, which is standard.

in fact, I have taken a leap of faith recently after knowing there is a price surge on GG whereu[on I ordered another pair of MTO TG73 and ask for extra toe room, dunno how this is gonna work out, and I am still struggling if I should change to MH71 last instead (but problem I have with MH71 is that it looks too fat similar to 888 last and i dont like that too much).

dlind

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
what pair did you buy?

Cambridge, Vintage Cedar
biggrin.gif

Fantastic...
nod[1].gif

Thanks! Pictures will be up shortly!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome. cant wait to see pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads