1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

They were a bespoke sample. Tony mentioned that Bespoke were ~ $3300, and if I remember correctly the stingray charge is 300GBP, which would, given the current exchange rate, probably put them squarely between 3750 and 4000.

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Interesting, what do you plan to wear these with?

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

God damn. Front row, 4th and 9th, back row, 4th. :drool:

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Here's a picture I snapped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Front row 6 and 7,are they bespoke or RTW?Look like bespoke

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

nice to see other taking pictures too

7. luk-cha

back row are deco's front are all BS

8. mktitsworth

I don't remember. I think that is a display of all bespoke samples and Decos, but was not paying close enough attention to those two.

9. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

That's a very good question.....one that I'm still contemplating.

I work in a NOT CBD environment in a creative executive sort of position. So it's pretty much a job requirement to break the rules with my personal appearance in most cases. That being said....

I'm thinking with a medium navy blue solid suit I've recently purchased. It's and interesting fabric with a bit of a 'sheen'. (Sounds garish I know - but it isn't.)

Or a medium gray flannel suit.

Also thinking they will look good with gray flannel trousers and sport coat.

But really, I'm not completely sure until I test them out a bit - the color is pretty reddish. I purchased them with the thought that they will patina down to something extra rich but a little more subtle than they are new.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

I'm not a jeans wearin' guy myself, but they would probably look good with jeans, or with anything grey. Vintage Cherry looks amazing with greys.

11. claes500

claes500 Well-Known Member

I agree. I have the StJames in vintage cherry and they go with all my trousers.. grey, navy, denim, green. There should be no problem matching them

12. Leather man

Leather man Well-Known Member

Is that a cut or a seam I can see ? Soon after you had these G&G BS made I rang Dean to ask if he had any of the tan pig skin left - for an extra £100 on top of the MTO surcharge I had a pair of Derwent made up. I don't know if it was from the same skin as yours but Dean did say it was left over from a BS order. They are my most comfortable and favourite pair of G&Gs!

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

It's a cut and a seam. - The shoe is side-closed (without a back seam)..

The galosh section on the outside (lateral) goes all the way round the heel until it meets the shorter section on the inside (medial) where the leather gets skin-stitched (by hand) from the underside.

Apart from rigorous blocking (crimping) to make a truly seamless galosh section (I doubt, this is possible with pigskin as the leather has relatively little 'drape') this is the nearest thing to seamless.

14. mktitsworth

I still have a full post with pics (though not as many as the first time since I forgot my camera in the car for the first half) to come, but while I'm thinking about it, I did talk with Tony about the new models. One of the things that he said was these (specifically the dub monks) are the first round for the new models and that he has a few adjustments he wants to make. For example, on the Grosvenor, he mentioned spreading the straps a bit so that they aren't sitting there so plainly, but rather so that there's a bit of a wider u shape to them.

15. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have crimped pigskin...veg tanned pig, at that...for full wellington liners. And I suspect veg tanned pig has less of a 'hand' than chrome tanned.

16. rsharp00

rsharp00 Member

General question - I'm a noob so this'll probably sound dumb - but if I can only afford one pair of G&G, is it a waste to have them made-up in suede? I wear jeans more often than not, and I'm in Texas where the weather won't destroy suede.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

If thats what you like... do it! :)

18. luk-cha

bengal is right, i side seem with a skin stitch

Nice! i remember you saying about it ether on here or AAAC - can you post pictures please i love to see how yours have aged

i have 3 lots of samples in different browns from cracks of pig skin, some tones are softer than others thro i a would have to agree that i dont think it would be as easy to shrink

19. luk-cha

+1 :slayer:

20. Leather man

Leather man Well-Known Member

I am going away for a couple of weeks but will try to remember to post pics when I return.

I did a quick calculation of the price increase for MTO for G&G and EG since 2007. G&G have gone up by 67% ! (granted based on the price of £500 forMTO - which may have been simply to gain a foothold in the market) and EG have will have gone up by 47% once they bring in their annual price rise in January. For the first time I am beginning to wonder if the shoes are really worth the price asked - I feel that costs are becoming runaway train.