1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

My buddy bespoken(that Zug Galway really fostered brotherhood among men) was indeed being sarcastic. Most of us here find this discussion of GYW vs hand-welted absurd so we like to joke every time the topic becomes popular again.

1 person likes this.
  2. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

About time we had a decent flame war?! :nest:

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

Great looking boot. If I didn't have a St C in the same style & color I would be all over that one

4. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Pearl grey is a bit purplish in outdoor lighting...

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

But we've had so many flame wars about gemming! - Let's find a different topic: what about a flame war on gay marriage?

6. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

gemming rules!

[​IMG]

7. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying Laufer. That makes sense and had a hunch that it might have been sarcastic but could not be sure.

Yes, the debate is so absurdly ridiculous, especially how many people have been brainwashed into believing the idea that only handwelting should exist in the marketplace. What a joke.

1 person likes this.
  8. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Me want a cookie

1 person likes this.
  9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

+1000

I do believe hand welted is best however that does not mean GYW isn't amazing as well. I often debate dfw about this topic. I just do not believe it matters enough (gemming) to discourage me from continuing to purchase my goods from North Hampton.

My previous post was in gest as Mr.Laufer suggested. Please keep going with the blog it helped guide me down the path of fine men's dress shoes.

1 person likes this.
  10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Well from Sweden via north Hampton TBH.

11. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

My take is that I plan to buy only hand welted shoes after the gemming in my GYW shoes slips. Maybe that will happen tomorrow. Maybe that will happen 15 years from now. Who knows [​IMG]

12. rallyx

rallyx Well-Known Member

Most here have enough pairs on rotation to make sure this wouldn't happen in their lifetime.

13. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Just don't tell my wife, because this is another reason I use to justify buying more shoes. LOL

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1 quoted and bolded for truth!

15. rallyx

rallyx Well-Known Member

Justin, having read other threads on shoemaking, I don't believe the intention is to justify only handwelting. I think the argument is that handwelting or even Goodyear welting using a carved channel to the insole as the feather for stitching the welt make for a stronger connection between the insole and the welt compared to Goodyear welting using a canvass feather glued to the insole.

I suppose it is an education process for me to learn the different methods of construction and isn't that what SF is all about, to share and gain information which influence the choice of shoes. Each construction method has a place in the vast market of mens shoes.

16. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Yea I know what you mean but the st James is like the Galway boot for me on the shoe side. It is so versatile like the Galway depending in the last and leather that you use. It is amazing as a two tone as well.

This will be such a tough one to decide between! I want both but having the kudu Thorpe on order makes me really ink about it. Plus should I really use up so much kudu for my size that could be used for others? I want the SF members to at least have a chance because we probably will use it all up between the few GMTOs

17. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

thank you

18. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

And once again we get into this about gumming in GYW vs hand welted. Yes hand welted is technically superior but with the amount if shoes that most of is have and how we take care of them, we probably will never have gumming failure. Plus if it happens the higher end makers will fully recraft them and replace that part if possible.

We love what we love and that shouldn't be the only difference. I have shoes that are hand welted bit still not as well made overall as some GYW shoes. I also have shoes that are superior but that difference in quality comes with a price.

19. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I can see this being a harder decision since you already have a Kudu on order.

For me it was a no brainier, in fact the more I think about the more this makeup works for me. I've always thought about getting the St James previously, but this is the first makeup I didn't have to think about it,. I just knew I had to get it. When you run across those that move you,then jump in with both feet. LOL

20. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but it is tough for me not only that I have a kudu on order but that the st James is my all time favorite style for a shoe outside of some bespoke models.