1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Trying to get

Austerity brogue
    st James [done]
    Balmoral captoe (Warwick)
    Gable [done]
    Captoe Adelaide (EG Laughton) [on order]
    Black wholecut [on order]

2. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. ^ That'll be a great rotation Veni. If I didn't have other austerity brogues, I'd probably have a Connaught as well. Maybe I'll mix it up a bit with something like the Strand.

3. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

what do you guys think of this? I just found a few pictures of this and it is a Norwegian style storm welt by GG. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have seen their normal storm welt, but have never seen one so unique before. This definitely is a clean look with the upper level welt and I guess that it is a modified version of a Norwegian welt construction. Does anyone know much about this type?
    If not I'm sure we could ask one of the guys at GG.

4. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

^My immediate reaction is that I don't find it aesthetically appeasing. Almost looks as though you have two soles one which is slightly bigger on the bottom of another.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean! It is really "different". I actually don't mind it on a casual suede chukka like this and it probably would work with a casual boot with a hardy grain upper or Zug, but I can't see it working for anything else. It definitely is for the boot guys to consider for a real work boot!

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

If the top row of stitching was a different color it might be more interesting. With the dark welt, it just looks like a reverse from afar. Non G&G related, and most of those on the EG thread have likely seen it, but 1 more is needed for a chestnut blucher re-order. Details are "spoiled" below:
    I believe only 1 person in an E width is needed to get the order going: [​IMG] Details: Order via SkoAB Sandringham Last: 202 Chestnut antique Double leather sole ETA is approximately 4 months Price is 7700SEK (which is just under $900 today) @dddrees, are you in?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I thought that you were going to go with the GG instead.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I did, just wanted to help out on the Sandringham I started. :)

9. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Love the rotation. Liar indeed ;)

10. dddrees

Sorry missed this the other day, very nice!!!

11. Shouldaville

Thanks again guys! I really will try to refrain from buying another oxford [​IMG]

12. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

^ Now that shit right there - that's funny! :rotflmao: Hoo boy, that belly laugh really made my day.

So seriously - what's the next oxford style you're thinking of? I'm not seeing any St James II's in your stable. Which is tantamount to heresy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  13. Shouldaville

^ I know. I've had my eye on the St. James, but the right combo/deal hasn't hit yet...I know it's lurking though. The more I look at the espresso Strand on Leffot's site, the more I like it. Just not $1500 "like".

On another note, I never understood people having sizing issues with the MH71. Mine were always perfect. Along comes the Kensington though, and it is noticeably more snug than my other 9.5Es. The VR is so nice, I'll probably still just try to break it in.

14. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

^ yeah, I've noticed that while most of my 9.5Es fit pretty consistently, I have one pair that is definitely narrower than the others - same deco last. And I have a KN14 in the same size that is hell on the heels. I'm going to get them stretched to alleviate the problem.

15. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Not a black cap-toe in sight :violin:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

17. dddrees

Great little rotation you got there!!!

18. dddrees

The more the merrier I say.

1 person likes this.
  19. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

wow! that is very nice of you. I may go for a pair like that eventually, even though it is similar to my Alderley, but it probably would have to be another leather shade or leather type all together.

20. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

Agreed! St. James II is a must for lovers of oxfords! They are my all time favorite oxford, especially on the TG73 last. They even look great in my large size, so I think anyone who loves oxfords should take a shot at them.