• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haven't walked around in them yet but thought I'd get some pics up... why doesn't the GF-1 pancake lens have a stabilizer??!!!!

Don't worry, you're just experiencing some G&G shakes. Your slight delirium and paroxysms of laughter will eventually wane once these babies become less new.

calogero

Reaction score
Not a fan of most of the footwear in this thread, but those are some sexy shoe trees.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which does bring me to one last question - what was the lead time on your first two pairs? Dean quoted me 4.5 months when I placed my order on 23rd August. Unfortunately 4.5 months from 23-Aug spans Christmas and New Year so I'm expecting more like 5 months unless they manage to bring the lead time down a bit and get it out before Christmas.
Good luck - the last pair I ordered were quoted for Dec and arrived in April.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting into month six of still waiting... :plain: Emailed Dean about it last week, but haven't heard a response back.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't mind my asking, how was that actually written up on your order sheet? ...I've saved your picture of the Cambridge on MH71 as inspiration for when I get to ordering a summer suede pair of shoes. ...what was the lead time on your first two pairs? Dean quoted me 4.5 months when I placed my order on 23rd August.
I always order through Nick, so I'm afraid I have no idea how the modifications were written up. I love the Cambridge and that shade of suede is particularly fetching; props for the inspiration goes to the Armoury and luck-cha's photography, and I believe that 3-4 people on SF ordered the identical configuration. My Cambridge hit the 6-month mark, although they were shipped together with the Grants, which were ordered several weeks later. Got an email from Nick today that four other pairs are shipping on Monday, so on average I'd say that the 5-month estimate is consistent with my experience thus far.

JulianL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on timing. jhcam8 - If the original December date was based on the usual 4.5 month estimate then by my reckoning you ended up with an 8 to 9 month wait for your shoes. Ouch! Hopefully that was an anomaly that is now fixed or at least reduced, and hopefully the shoes were worth the wait.

How much of a 5 month waiting time is due to the order being in the queue waiting to be started and how much of it is the inevitable delay inherent in the production process? I've read a few articles on bespoke shoe making and read that there are certain stages that necessarily take a defined amount of time in order to allow the leather to stretch and settle adequately on the last but I'm interested to know how long my MTO shoe (from the non-Deco range) is actually in production for.

How does the answer above differ for the Deco? I know that the G&G information on the Deco says "All of the Deco waists and soles are hand finished, the uppers are hand lasted and the materials are cut from the very finest leather.". How much of that is unique (looking only at the G&G world) to the Deco or, put another way, how much hand work is there on a G&G non-Deco MTO shoe?

- Julian

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies on timing. jhcam8 - If the original December date was based on the usual 4.5 month estimate then by my reckoning you ended up with an 8 to 9 month wait for your shoes. Ouch! Hopefully that was an anomaly that is now fixed or at least reduced, and hopefully the shoes were worth the wait.
- Julian
There was probably a delay because Nick had to lighten some black leather to grey and that took some extra time, what with running off to trunk shows and so on. Probably 4-5 months is more normal.
GG-Canterbury-Black-Gunmet-1.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MyNewSuedes-1-1.jpg

just to stoke the fire

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it is a shoe Appreciation thread. Some people have fetishes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads