1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Keal19

Keal19 Well-Known Member

Quite a few in 9E (saw one guy getting some Astaire's at £350 which looked very nice!), mixed bunch of the seconds/samples that were starting at £350 - lots of bigger/smaller sizes as you'd expect. Good range of sizes for those starting at £500.

2. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

I expect this thread to be bursting with pics.

3. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

:fu: The pain... oh the pain...

4. Adamjonzey

Adamjonzey Well-Known Member

I tried these on twice. Love the but it just seemed they came up very big on me. I tried another shoe in the same last. Also felt too big. Thought it was me so I tried something in my usual dg70 it was a perfect fit. I was so close to buying just maybe the last is not good for me either. If anyone is interested I can verify they are pretty much perfect stock.

5. Adamjonzey

Adamjonzey Well-Known Member

I think this sale was great for perfect stock/end of the line etc. not so many rejects or odds unlike the last sale. Was tempted a little by some perfect stock but not my ideal colour etc and I don't fancy spending £500 on a shoe when for a couple of hundred more I can have exactly what I want. so just 17more trips to saville row to make my mind up now!

6. striker

striker Well-Known Member

Agreed. £500 is just not enticing enough to settle for second best. Also at that price, i dun think it is worth a proxy.

7. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

God I love that I'm not the only one who pesters Stephen, Thomas and Neus! ;)

Yeah - this sale was not one where the price justified compromising a little on size, or on last, or on colour on a shoe that I'd be willing to buy full price anyway. I'm glad I got the Thorpe at a discount, as well as the Monaco, because neither style is one that I'd sacrifice a full-price Mitchell/Cambridge/St James for (stone me for blasphemy as you will), yet I love them both.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Do wholecuts stretch out more than normal shoes?

9. Keal19

Keal19 Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly the same experience as me, I convinced myself they were the right fit, but in reality they are probably half a size too big for me, gutted though as I loved them!

10. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Happy to oblige on both counts. First Thorpes. This is taking me into a whole new G&G world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to try these on with more appropriate trousers ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Delete

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Very nice, Congrats!!

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

fantastic pickup congrats!

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a redeye to London...

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

lol, discussed that with stevent and the cost of flight and accommodation would be equivalent to 2 pairs from bespoke england

16. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Nothing in my size. Disappointing.

17. mcl911

mcl911 Well-Known Member

What about 5.5/6?

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I'm curious to find out how G&G's popularity has grown in the general market. Of course SF and even the EG association brings attention to them in addition to their work with RL.

I doubt it's "branding" like Versace or Prada but it appears that their marketing move has been positive, especially for a new company that competes with the "old name" factories. Impressive to say the least.

19. jamestct

jamestct Well-Known Member

It is actually very much like Versace or Prada - it is not a widely known fact but G&G are 30% owned by one of the richest men in the world who's 'other half' happens to run LVMH (and is daughter of Bernard Arnault). It's no great surprise that they are moving quickly.

20. jrb666

jrb666 Well-Known Member

I think he's referring to Versace and Prada's branding rather than the brands themselves.

The relentless marketing, advertising and hype of brands like Prada, Versace and many others stands in stark contrast to G&G - does G&G do any advertising at all?