1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i would never wear GGs for hiking lol.

2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

I do use both my RMW Chelsea boots and Tricker's country boots for laboring tasks.

3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

What did you have to do for that watch?! :eek:

4. in stitches

make a lot of money. :teach:

2 people like this.
  5. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. I still cannot figure out TG73 last. Indeed it is difficult to tell them apart in photos. I was sure that Burnham from Barneys was on MH71 but it was on TG73. I had to return it. It was hurting me across my forefoot. This does not happen on CG06 and MH71.

6. in stitches

as far as looks, the only real difference i see between the 71 and 73, is that the toe of the 71 is slightly round whereas the 73 is not.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

How about DG70?

8. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

That one I am still trying to figure out. I tried 10.5E on DG70 and I found it very tight in the toe area. I have not have a chance to try 11E on DG70. I do not know if 10.5 E would stretch enough to become comfortable? There are some models that look really good on DG70 such as Rothschild. I would want to get Isham on DG70. To me split toes look really good on pointy lasts.
    Are there any Isham fans out there? maybe we can lobby for Isham to be included in monthly special but not until later part of the year please.

9. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Speaking of mistreating nice shoes, I hiked up the Lion's Head in Cape Town wearing a pair of Santoni dress boots. Garnered lots of curious stares and mutterings of "hipster" from others on the trail.

The boots did look a little the worse for wear at the end, but scrubbed up fine with a lick of Renovateur followed by polishing with some Glaçage.

Don't try this at home though, kiddies.

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

hipster.

1 person likes this.
  11. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Hippy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  12. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My latest purchase from Nick. He did a great job for me. This is my third pair of G&G but never had double monk in my life before. As I have high instep I am concerned about fitting of this particular model. Nick sent me a stock Oakham for trial, and I found out it was not wearable at all.

Below picture shows the trial shoes of the same size. Angle of my instep and alignment of the buckles do not match at all, I merely managed to buckle at the first hole and there is a big gap between front part of strap and vamp. I just gave up and told Nick so, but he suggested GG can adjust it by adding conical piece on the last when they make the shoes. He was very convincing and I gave him a go. Result? I was a happy customer of Nick but am now even happier.

This is original normal Oakham

[​IMG]

This is my modified Oakham. I can close the buckle with the second hole properly and there is no visible mis-alignment.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

Thats awesome. Didn't know Nick & GG offered such service. Looks great!

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

+1 ^^

That is really impressive - may I ask what the extra charge was for a last adjustment? That's a really serious option without going full bespoke.

16. in stitches

DOOD! they look fantastic, and once again, nick saves the day! very happy for you both.

17. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Great article - thanks for sharing!

Great looking pair!

[​IMG]

Wearing G&G Colcutt today for my oath taking ceremony. British shoes for the new US citizen! Vintage cherry with chestnut pingrain, single monkstrap.

1 person likes this.
  18. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Nick is the man!! Great vendor and someone that I hope to make my next G&G purchase.

Nice shoes gents!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  19. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I will probably need that done with a future Oakham MTO I have in mind. I can get away with my high instep on laceups, but probably not in a monk strap...

20. in stitches

congrats on the citizenship, frilly!!!!!

nice shoes, and nice fit too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013