1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

So it's only a half size from us size sheep?

2. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

Yes, in TG73 an DG70 anyway. I have 7.5UK in MH71 and GG06.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

they look great. it makes me really happy that i was able at least help one person avoid the hassle of ending up with an ill fitting shoe from the barneys sale.

enjoy them, and wear them in good health. i cant wait to wear mine. maiden voyage should be soon.

4. Hampton

Stitchy you are an angel on this earth.

5. in stitches

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Regardig a balmoral boot, Is it possible to swap out the shaft leather with another colored/textured leather? My Canterbury could use some more oooompppth

7. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Yes. But its not worth it. Sell and order another one would probably be cheaper.

Off the top of my head, DWFII @ OR, Paul Krause @ AZ, Liza Sorell @ OH should all be able to do it at a cost. Maybe you should enquire Suzaanegeorge @ SF.

The boots would most likely be disassembled completely and put back together.

Why not just go bespoke and all out with lizard skin suede shaft, ilcea radica calf cap, and sea turtle or sharkskin quarter?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Not only is it not worth it, it's not going to be a job that any established shoe/bootmaker is going to be eager to take at any price.

IMO

9. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Paul Krause's weblog regarding shoe reconstruction/resizing that involves pattern alternation. But yes, not worth it IMO for a pair of G&G RTW.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll go on living regretted not having ordered the Wigmore

11. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

Buy the Wigmore anyway :stirpot:

12. in stitches

:nodding:

13. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could have the uppers redyed in a complimentary color?

14. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Paul Krause is a heck of a bootmaker.

That said, there is virtually no correlation between the techniques nor the work, nor yet the understanding, required to resize/rebuild a pull-on boot and that required to rebuild/resize a shoe. I have resized pull-on boots on occasion for many decades. It's not easy...it's not always do-able...but its usually pretty straight-forward if it can be done at all.

On the other hand, replacing the quarters on a balmoral boot requires a complete breakdown of the boot into its component pieces. Even the linings will need to be replaced. And all those pieces will have been stretched/distorted during the lasting process.

For instance, the replacement quarters (being new and not stretched) will be of a different size and shape than the lining...requiring the lining to be replaced as well.

Then too, shoemakers often cut lining patterns differently than they cut upper patterns simply to avoid "stacking" seams. Sometimes quarter linings join to vamp linings both under and over requiring that the vamp liner be replaced.

Seam and lasting allowances will have been trimmed to the smallest possible margins...visible lines of stitching (thread removed) will have to be positioned perfectly and restitched in the same holes....

It ends up being a nightmare. And the result...even in the most skilled hands...more often that not, will shout "CLUMSY".

It would be far easier, and, if "time is money", cheaper to simply scrap the old boot entirely and begin again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  15. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. Nick A

Nick A Well-Known Member

Yes I would recommend the same size as your St James 2. What size are these?

17. Hampton

To get a perfect shine like this, how? I know with wax but mine does not come out this way..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  18. Nick A

Nick A Well-Known Member

With lots of layers of polish applied and patience. You can also apply a thicker layer of polish and let it dry for a couple of hours and then use a cotton cloth with a little fresh polish and a drop of water. This works well on shoes already polished. I'm soon launching a new blog which will have short YouTube clips to explain in more detail. Sorry for the multiple posts before. The new forum design didn't show me I had posted when I hit the submit button. It used to be a red colour but it seems to have changed now. Maybe it's only my iPhone?

19. Hampton

With lots, I thought the shine came out the less wax you used? But Ok now I understand, thanks.

Hmm maybe only some bugg, can happend sometimes :)

20. Jhors2

Jhors2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to start using a 50/50 mix of 90% rubbing alcohol and water as well, the evaporation is supposed to help with shine. But my best shines have come with progressively less wax over time and tons of elbow grease.