1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

2. Nick A

Nick A Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

This is correct.

3. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jorge. I'll think about translating the other pages if I can squeeze in some time [​IMG]

JM Weston got top marks for quality leather inside out, the accuracy of the upper stitching, using old-school construction method such as the midsole cut with a fuller/groove (?), flexible midsole made of split leather, a comfortable fitting last, and being the most inexpensive one from the crop also helped. In Japan, Golf costs 98,000 yen ($1200 USD), vs 137,550 ($1700) for EG Dover, and a whopping 155,000 yen ($1900) for G&G St. James.

side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while[​IMG]

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

5. jamaican

jamaican Well-Known Member

You're thinking that G&G is pocketing the difference?

rethink!

Not thinking that... had assumed that it was a matter of customs combined with upcharge. Mr Iyorito says otherwise, fair enough. J

6. banis

banis Well-Known Member

Most luxury goods with the exception of watches and jewellery tends to be far higher priced in Asia, sometimes to do with luxury goods taxes and sometimes just because the brand is damn greedy and own all the retail outlets. Take LV for example, there is no Luxury goods tax in HK nor any Duty or standard sales tax, yet the price can be slightly higher than the regular UK retail price. If you buy in the UK you will get it 20% off once the VAT is removed. There is no way to justify that except greed, not being content with the fact that HK accounts for large % of their sales, they ramp up the price. Yes retail rent is high here, but so is 5th Avenue, Champs Elysees (however you spell it) and Bond St, likely higher I would guess plus higher staff costs and for sure higher profits taxes.
    We have about the same approach in lux retail in Russia. [​IMG]

7. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Would I be right in assuming that the G&G lasts are a bit more elongated, and that: DG70≈82; TG73≈888; GG06≈202; MH71≈606?

That was my observation as well.

I'm pretty sure all G&G lasts are similar to the EG 888, differing only in toe shape. All G&G lasts therefore fit the same, unlike the various EG lasts.

This is correct.

Interesting.

8. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

^ This is awesome. Thanks Nutcracker.

very very awesome!

Thanks for the very informative posts Nutcracker. Well done.

Thanks fellows. There's a lot of really informative and fun shoes articles out there in Japanese (especially from MEN's EX), and I don't think it will hurt anyone here to get to chance to read some of them.... I'm currently working on the Alden page, which will complete this article, hopefully soon! Thanks for all the encouragement!

9. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

side note, you live in Taipei, glad to see my fellow countryman once a while[​IMG]

Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei [​IMG]

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you too! Then you must know I must be sweating whenever I wear fine shoes out at the rubble-filled streets of Taipei [​IMG]

dont worry i wear my bespoke shoes in run down area's in ShenZhen without issue, in fact they wear better than cheapo's

11. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Thanks fellows. There's a lot of really informative and fun shoes articles out there in Japanese (especially from MEN's EX), and I don't think it will hurt anyone here to get to chance to read some of them.... I'm currently working on the Alden page, which will complete this article, hopefully soon! Thanks for all the encouragement!

Thanks to you, sir. I will let you know when I am next in Taipei. Maybe we can meet up for some dumplings.

12. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Due to popular request, here is my scanlation of the EG Dover dissection (from June issue of MEN'S EX). Again, I attached a crisper image below.

Thanks Nutcracker. The scanlations were really fun to read.

13. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

We have about the same approach in lux retail in Russia. [​IMG]

Have you considered tolls? There's usually a toll of 20-30% on textile and leather goods made within the EU that is shipped outside the free trade zone. And of course shipping, agent fees, adoptation/translation of advertising/PR, etc adds up... I'm not taking sides here, I'm just saying there are a lot of costs attached to expanding outside your home market.

14. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Have you considered tolls? There's usually a toll of 20-30% on textile and leather goods made within the EU that is shipped outside the free trade zone. And of course shipping, agent fees, adoptation/translation of advertising/PR, etc adds up... I'm not taking sides here, I'm just saying there are a lot of costs attached to expanding outside your home market.

Not true. European made merchandises have lower price tags in the U.S. It'd blame it on supply and demand. Furthermore, luxury goods in many non-U.S. market are considered "status symbol", and thus always be bought at full price, unlike the "sale/discount" consumer culture in the US which ultimately drives the actual price down.

Anyway, I should not go CE here. Carry on.

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Not true. European made merchandises have lower price tags in the U.S. It'd blame it on supply and demand. Furthermore, luxury goods in many non-U.S. market are considered "status symbol", and thus always be bought at full price, unlike the "sale/discount" consumer culture in the US which ultimately drives the actual price down.

love the sale / discount mentality in america - for clothing. but it means people are always primed for a "sale"

16. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

What is not true? It's not true there are tolls? Or are you just disagreeing with my arguments why some European luxury goods are more expensive outside Europe? [​IMG] I'm not saying it's the complete and absolute truth, just giving people some of the reasons behind a pretty complex subject. The market dictates the price of course. Fierce competition in the US drives down prices, which is good for the consumer. But there are still tolls and other expenses related to expanding outside your home market, and someone is paying for them; in some regions it's the consumer, in other the retailers or manufacturers.

17. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Haven't been back to Taiwan during summer for god knows how many years, though do remember those childhood days, god, summer is awful in Taipei...

18. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

More Rock, Less Talk!

Just came here to post this.

20. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

DW, completely random question, but how much alligator skin would you need to make a pair of shoes? If its a custom project and you supply the skin - US size 9.5.
    I see what you did there...