• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
I have the Nice in KN14, size 9E which is perfect for my 9.5 US foot.
70b13b41.jpg
I've been thinking about ordering these for a while now can you tell me the colour you ordered?

LeJouvre

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for months (lurking).

I am the proud owner of a few G&G after taking the plunge last year with a pair of St James.

So far so good, very happy with all my G&G, except that yesterday a friend of mine told me he was charged over $500, including around $100 for shipping both ways, to resole and refurb his shoes at G&G!

WoW ! !

At first he did not think much about it, but then he realized a replacement pair would only cost a bit more and, not only that, but I pay much less at John Lobb and Cleverleys and EG for refurbs and re sole.

Can this be right? The reason you buy top quality shoes is exactly because you do not want to have to dispose of them once they become worn and used.

These are not "disposables" right?

At $400 plus shipping you might as well shell out the extra few bucks for a new pair of shoes. You could glue a piece of some old car tire to the bottoms of the old pair to use in the garden.

Suddenly I am crap scared of using my G&G shoes now. I own 5 pairs. At $500 each I will have to shell out over $2.5k within 2 years.

Am I wrong to be so surprised at this huge cost?

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference in fit from A Deco range shoe and a TG73? I own 2 pairs in the TG73 but looking at buying the "Bates" but they are in the Deco range

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Jonny

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ that is maybe the nicest shoe pic I have ever seen in my life, look at the combination here with the pants and the socks, pure sex, no joke!

it is rather winsome.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo what kind of socks is that? What brand?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been following this thread for months (lurking).

I am the proud owner of a few G&G after taking the plunge last year with a pair of St James.

So far so good, very happy with all my G&G, except that yesterday a friend of mine told me he was charged over $500, including around $100 for shipping both ways, to resole and refurb his shoes at G&G!

WoW ! !

At first he did not think much about it, but then he realized a replacement pair would only cost a bit more and, not only that, but I pay much less at John Lobb and Cleverleys and EG for refurbs and re sole.

Can this be right? The reason you buy top quality shoes is exactly because you do not want to have to dispose of them once they become worn and used.

These are not "disposables" right?

At $400 plus shipping you might as well shell out the extra few bucks for a new pair of shoes. You could glue a piece of some old car tire to the bottoms of the old pair to use in the garden.

Suddenly I am crap scared of using my G&G shoes now. I own 5 pairs. At $500 each I will have to shell out over $2.5k within 2 years.

Am I wrong to be so surprised at this huge cost?

well, a new pair is more like double that, so not really a few bucks.

you could always try sending them to nick at b.nelson. they'll do a good job with quality products for less than $150

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

WoW ! !

Can this be right?

this figure came up when luk-cha had a pair of his bespoke numbers resoled recently. from my understanding the expensive factor in the equation is the fiddle back waist rebuilt.

probably a shoemaker or skilled cobbler can chime in and shed some light on this topic. i can imagine, if you forego the fiddleback and settle down with a conventional resole you can get away with the usual cost scheme. dunno if g&g would do that, though. inquiring minds would like to know.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

.............a friend of mine told me he was charged over $500, including around $100 for shipping both ways, to resole and refurb his shoes at G&G!.......Can this be right? The reason you buy top quality shoes is exactly because you do not want to have to dispose of them once they become worn and used...........Am I wrong to be so surprised at this huge cost?

Traditionally in a Northampton shoe, the price for resoling and refurbishing a pair of shoes has always been something like 30% of the price for a new pair (leaving the premium for exotic upper leathers out of the equation). The last time I looked (a couple of years ago), EG charged GBP 180.00
(USD 300.00). This price might have gone up in the meantime. In the old days, when a pair of shoes was GBP 10.00, a refurbishing job would have been GBP 2.95 (or 2 pounds, 19 shilling as it was back then). G&G's prices for a refurbishing will be within similar figures as the prices EG and JLP charge at present. Yes, with Airmail shipping to-and-fro you are not likely to get a lot of change out of USD 500.00

this figure came up when luk-cha had a pair of his bespoke numbers resoled recently. from my understanding the expensive factor in the equation is the fiddle back waist rebuilt.

Bespoke (fully hand-made) shoes will be considerably more expensive than bench-made (factory-made) shoes. I presume the cost for resoling JLL, Cleverley, G&G bespoke shoes will be north of GBP 500. The shoes will be returned to the same 'maker' who has made the shoes in the first place (presuming he still works for the company) and the job will be done entirely by hand (with no sanding wheels in sight).

Yes, you can get the job done elsewhere for considerably less money: the job might be well-done, the job might be botched. You pays your money, takes your choice. If you have a Patek watch, any repair, let alone a revision, carried out in Geneva will set you back serious money.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I presume the cost for resoling JLL, Cleverley, G&G bespoke shoes will be north of GBP 500.

this was the prize for luk-cha, period. probably he got a better tariff.

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
Looking at buying my 1st pair of Deco's what can anyone suggest that looks good made up?

My thoughts so far are the "Bates" in Vintage Oak or "Bowlly" in Vintage Oak. Has anyone got / seen these made up or can suggest anything else.

My current wardrobe consists off:

Kent - Black and Black suede
Grant - Vintage Oak
Nice - Vintage Oak
Nice - Brandy Calf

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Looking at buying my 1st pair of Deco's what can anyone suggest that looks good made up?

My thoughts so far are the "Bates" in Vintage Oak or "Bowlly" in Vintage Oak. Has anyone got / seen these made up or can suggest anything else.

My current wardrobe consists off:

Kent - Black and Black suede
Grant - Vintage Oak
Nice - Vintage Oak
Nice - Brandy Calf

While either of those makeups would look lovely, why not add some variety to your wardrobe? There are a lot of nice browns besides Vintage Oak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads