1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jonathanS

jonathanS Well-Known Member

It's still a big difference but deco includes shoe trees.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

In my experience, deco black is a bleached toe & heel black, giving a faded patina effect. Not exactly a better skin than the normal black calf.

If you are using these for formal affairs, a highly polished black calf would seem like the only option IMO. However, I do believe they offer a patent leather option if you prefer.

3. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Deco black is a patina nowadays rather than actual bleaching, if I'm not mistaken. So you're paying for patina service. It looks cool and you can determine how much or little you want, but I'm not sure why you'd want anything other than proper black for black-tie.

Why not Sinatra on deco last if you prefer the deco aesthetic? As a shoe aficianado who notices shoes keenly but has no expertise in the finer details of shoemaking, I personally can't tell the difference unless I turn the shoe over to look at the sole and waist. And both are damn fine - either way you'd have better-quality shoe than 99.99% of people you'd come in contact with (unless Davos and Cannes figure in your weekly itinerary, in which case it's 99.98%).

From the normal on-the-hoof perspective looking down onto a shoe, I would love to see somebody be able to distinguish between a Cooper and a deco-lasted Sinatra - I'm guessing that they are few and far between.

The difference, in my opinion, comes down to what you value more: the feeling of exclusivity and satisfaction that comes from the knowledge that you can afford the serious workmanship that goes into a deco pair; or the fact that you "save" nearly £600 by going the non-deco route yet pass with 99.999999999% of the deco visual aesthetic and full G&G quality.

Neither is right or wrong, it's just what you personally value. Personally, I tend to value the deco model over its non-deco doppelganger unless I'm experimenting - so I have on order a pair of deco-lasted Sinatras as my first pair of G&G wholecuts because I know they will mould differently to my foot than models that have multiple pieces of leather. I'd do the same if (when?) I get round to trying out a deco loafer. But once I know my fit and want a particular style where there are deco and "standard" models e.g. Cooper-Sinatra, Cliffe-Cambridge, Holden-Oxford, then the pleasure of knowing I have the full deco version is worth it to me. To others it's a stupid waste of money, which is fine - nothing for me to feel threatened over, to each his own.

So if you like the deco aesthetic but are struggling with the full deco upcharge, then it sounds like you have some soul-searching to do: come to terms with you value and fuck what anybody else thinks makes "good sense." :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. HKuncovered

HKuncovered New Member

Thanks this is all great advice. Sinatra on Deco is 1090 GBP with the trees - so just over half way to the full Deco in the Cooper.

Will probably need to look at them in person to decide on the value proposition.

I think the patent leather is not a great look and want something for office / wedding and potentially black tie use.

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Here is another option you should inquire about. See how much the upcharge is for a seamless wholecut. Would be a nice touch on your Sinatra on the Deco last, with black calf. Probably still save you some change over full Deco ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  6. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

No dog in this race, but I wonder if the difference between standard GG leather (which by all accounts is perfect) compared to the deco leather is worth the surcharge. I remember reading that GG bespoke uses the same leathers as RTW.

To summarize, can the leather be that much better?

7. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Two days of Mitchells ...

Yesterday
    [​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Voak Thorpe Tuesday

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  9. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

^^^^^super jealous. Wonderful boot and color

1 person likes this.
  10. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

^^^ seconded. I need a pair of voak Thorpes! :brick:

1 person likes this.
  11. supern0va

supern0va Well-Known Member

First wear :)

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  12. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

@Steel28 @grc1 @supern0va

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  13. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Took my new Lamports out for the first time today. Wensum soles means the snow can't slow me down. :)

[​IMG]

By the end of the day I was able to almost get the facings all the way closed, which is very reassuring. Seems like the fit may be almost perfect after break in.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    3 people like this.
  14. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

St. James IIs I assume? A quintessential shoe, to say the least.

15. supern0va

supern0va Well-Known Member

Yup. Really like them. My first st James II :) the colour and design rocks.

1 person likes this.
  16. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

I snagged my first pair this summer as well, also in vintage cherry. Hooray for this summer's "surprise brexit" sale. :)

17. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

G&G Deco Suede day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Espresso calf Strands

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Went to Harrods today on the off-chance their G&G collection was part of the sample sale. No such luck, but did give me an opportunity to look at the deco Cooper wholecut vs deco-lasted-but-not-full-deco Grant wholecut since @HKuncovered had started a conversation a couple days ago. Some pics:

Cooper is black, Grant is Margaux patina with a medallion. Both wholecuts. From the top it's difficult to tell them apart from shape alone

[​IMG]

Difference becomes more pronounced when you see the sole - deco is more angular.

[​IMG]

Difference more pronounced still once you turn them over. Deco is whole 'nother level.

[​IMG]

That said, the Grant (and other non-deco) is top-notch. And as a wholecut it's badass, sleek'n'sexy as hell.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  20. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Good comparison pictures grc1 [​IMG][​IMG]