1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Rothschilds, beluga patina on the round deco last.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

888 size 8 = GG 8 1/2 for me

3. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

I size up one half size on all G&G lasts from EG 606 as well. For me 606 size 8.5 = any G&G 9.0

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

The one pair of EG I did get was on the 888 last, ordered in my GG size. I will be sizing down by 1/2 as well if I ever pick up another EG pair.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  5. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Well-Known Member

As you can tell, fit and sizing vary like political opinions...There's no right or wrong answer, it's all perspective and preference. I know this has been reverberated multiple times, but there is simply no substitute for hands-on (in this case, foot-in) experience with the shoes you're interested in. Believe me, I know it's tedious, annoying, and sometimes downright arduous to find the means of experiencing a proper fitting...but said experience is truly invaluable. Unless monetary means are of no obstacle for you, you will save a tremendous amount of time, money, and frustration by either attending a trunk show or ordering from an online stockiest with a solid return policy to dial in your fit. A luxury expense of this magnitude deserves your diligence. I, like many before me and many more to come, have made the hastily over-zealous decision to purchase high end footwear 'in the blind' and have paid handsomely on the resale. It would behoove you to learn form the mistakes of many before you (myself included)...but, I empathize with your situation and understand the frustration.

Keep in mind two general correlations about fools - they're soon parted with their money and they have a tendency to rush in.

8 people like this.
  6. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

^ I fully corroborate as a recovering fool (degree of recovery being debatable :lol:)

7. supern0va

supern0va Well-Known Member

Black Friday haul finally arrived!

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  8. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Vintage Rioja Cherry Lamports on the TG73 Last:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a bit of a gap, but I'm expecting they should close up fairly nicely once broken in.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    8 people like this.
  9. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

^^^^man they came out very nice tdes81 [​IMG][​IMG]

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Rioja is such a successful colour! My Wigmores in rioja get so many compliments.

11. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Woops! They're actually vintage cherry! I must have wine on the mind. :)

Wigmores are definitely a fantastic looking boot. Pretty high on my list of G&G's to add to my collection.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. HKuncovered

HKuncovered New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a nice black wholecut to wear with a dinner jacket at black tie and also to work - can you tell me if it's worth spending the extra on the COOPER Deco vs the standard SINATRA given the price difference is almost double.

I think I prefer the deco last for its sleekness given I'm 6 foot 3 83kg but the difference in price is large.

Also for the MTO Deco any thoughts on black calf vs black Deco calf - for black tie ideally just be the Plain black.

No need to patina for black tie I guess.

Thanks in advance

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Both excellent colors. I initially thought they were light Rioja, likely due to the lighting. Wear in good health!

14. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

I'd go Sinatra as I don't think I've ever seen a major difference between deco vs mto. I know the finishing is a little better but on a black shoe I'm not sure how much that matters. Maybe others know more specifics about what separates a full deco shoe from a mto on the deco last

15. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Well-Known Member

Mainly heel work.

16. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Hm I'll have to check my pairs to see the difference

17. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Well-Known Member

Shorter and narrower heel stack which tapers to follow the contour of the waist. A much more pronounced notched waist too.

18. HKuncovered

HKuncovered New Member

Thanks so hard to justify 770GBP vs 1345GBP.

To clarify this would be Sinatra on non deco last vs Cooper on Deco last.

I do prefer the narrower heel given my height and shoe size and the detailing is nicer.

It's tough because want the nicest black while it I can get but 600GBP extra seems a lot.

Any experience of black calf vs black deco calf (again black deco calf adds 200GBP to price)

19. HKuncovered

HKuncovered New Member

*nicest black whole cut

20. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Well-Known Member