• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gant Rugger Revealed

benchan

Reaction score
Crap, the first time in HK, I can't get something I want. A/W2009 was their last season. Definitely agree that Gant stuff is underated.

Did some HK's SF member work in Li&Fung? Please convince them to keep this brand rather than the EuroTrash Ted baker.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own one Gant shirt and it fits on par with my Band shirts...slim and short(er). Love it.

pootie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
Crap, the first time in HK, I can't get something I want. A/W2009 was their last season. Definitely agree that Gant stuff is underated.

Did some HK's SF member work in Li&Fung? Please convince them to keep this brand rather than the EuroTrash Ted baker.

I picked up a couple Gant shirts the other day from this spot called Jack's in SF. They had a pretty big selection of Gant stuff.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
The vast majority of Gant's business is in Europe - where it's a bit like a Ralph Lauren that's all preppy and maritime. When I lived in Vienna, I would see it stocked at nearly every department store. Rugger was just launched last year as a younger, slimmer line that speaks back to Gant's roots. I dig this collection a lot. The construction, fit, and materials are all well executed, and the pricing is really fair. I'm excited for us to get started with them online.

yeah their catalogs are dead ringers for RL lookbooks, there was this one shot in scotland and featured a ton of different plaids and pictures in old castles and on the highlands. however their recent stuff is definitely trying to tap into americana, as evidenced by their current road trip campaign, and the bastian teaser featuring a bunch of shadowy figures playing lacrosse.

i was actually gonna stop by your store next week and check it out for the first time (the store, not gant). definitely agree that pricing is very fair.

seany

Reaction score
You guys know the price for the Rugger stuff from this season ?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who are the designers working on this for Gant?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
I own one Gant shirt and it fits on par with my Band shirts...slim and short(er). Love it.

What Gant shirt? I tried on a Rugger oxford at Barney's today and it while it was as short as my Band oxfords it was nowhere near as slim and tapered. I can't speak to the other shirts as the gingham they had (which I liked the looks of) didn't have any of my size left.

For everything else: there was about a rack and a half of stuff including a windbreaker some (short) shorts and some jean cut chinos which looked quite slim.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
What Gant shirt? I tried on a Rugger oxford at Barney's today and it while it was as short as my Band oxfords it was nowhere near as slim and tapered. I can't speak to the other shirts as the gingham they had (which I liked the looks of) didn't have any of my size left.

I can't answer this completely, but it wasn't part of the Rugger collection.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis

For everything else: there was about a rack and a half of stuff including a windbreaker some (short) shorts and some jean cut chinos which looked quite slim.

The Rugger stuff from their SS2010 line? I know you said it was not as aslim as BoO, but was it boxy and wide as the regular stuff you find? How was the quality / constrution?

dport86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
when did GANT become a luxury brand? I remember buying this **** at tj maxx as a kid.
Not sure Gant is or was ever a luxury band. But they were a respected traditional shirt-maker based in New Haven CT and maker of true rubber-buttoned rugby shirts well before the label fell on hard times, moved production overseas, dumped stuff at TJ Maxx's etc. The same sad story of decline of so many American brands. The authentic bleeding Indian madras shirts they made in New Haven in the 80's kicked the asses of any madras shirts I've seen since, including the NOS ones at O'Connell's (probably Sero's, another trad American shirtmaker). Amazing patterns, unbelievable fade, lots of parchment/tan/indigo/purple vegetable dyes that faded out great, not the pastel dreck from RL or the fake non-bleeding stuff everyone calls madras today. I'd give a lot for any of those old shirts. Quality of the new Rugger line is nice but made in India without the traditional Indian bleeding fabrics. Decent for the price. Nice slim fit, good finish and some odd details (cut off and stitched down nonfunctional locker tab anyone?). But not the same.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I ´ve tred on that one, fits slim as hell. Not sure its worth the retail here, but its a nice jacket.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heard they have the new Homerun Jacket in West Villiage. Just called and they said its retailing for $995!? Apparently, the herringbone weaving and construction is far superior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads