1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Full Length Trench Coats - How Long?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by etb, Sep 30, 2010.

1. etb

etb Well-Known Member

Just bought a nice used trench (my first) that might need shortening.

Is 3" below the knee too long? I'm thinking that the optimal length is bottom-of-knee (similar to attached picture) but would appreciate your thoughts.
    [​IMG]

2. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

Anything between barely covering your ass to nearly dragging on the ground is acceptable, it's largely a function of personal preference if you ask me.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

For heavy rains combined with strong winds, the longer the coat the better.

4. Sazerac

Sazerac Well-Known Member

Disagree that any length will do. Like women's skirts, preferred length vary with fashion. These days, shorter trench coats are in. That is, they should end at your knee or a little above. In times past, longer was better, and no doubt the cycle will come around again.

A lot depends on the other elements of the coat, though. If you have large Burberry-style lapels, I'd avoid cutting the length too short. The proportions won't be right. Also, if the trench has a liner, it may be almost impossible to shorten it anyway and still have it look right.

See a good tailor, I guess, and get their advice.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^I prefer function over fashion. A longer coat on wet and windy days provides greater protection. After all, it is a rain coat.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Don't like the Marlboro-man-slash-flasher long raincoats - I prefer them on the shorter side (at or just below the knee).

7. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I prefer longer coats as well and I'm pretty sure both my overcoat and my raincoat go a few inches below the knee. But I'm 6'3" so its fine. I would say it all depends on how tall you are and what style you prefer.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

At about 5'6" I don't really have a choice; most regular trenches fall quite low on me. But actually, I quite like that, as it keeps more of the trouser leg dry.

I think it's a personal preference thing, to be honest.

9. theEnd

theEnd Member

Related question:

At around $1500 bucks a pop (and no sign of any sales/discounts), is one of the 'made in England' Burburry trenches (made out of raglan/garbadine) worth it?

I tried one on last weekend and it is clearly a cut above any other trench I have seen (JCrew, BB, RL, even a Brioni).

Just looking for some confidence to make the purchase.

10. Endeavour

Endeavour Member

Related question:

At around $1500 bucks a pop (and no sign of any sales/discounts), is one of the 'made in England' Burburry trenches (made out of raglan/garbadine) worth it?

I tried one on last weekend and it is clearly a cut above any other trench I have seen (JCrew, BB, RL, even a Brioni).

Just looking for some confidence to make the purchase.

I have one of the older 'Burberry's" labeled coats and couldn't be happier with it. The fabric is unlike any other cotton gabardine I've seen. Mine has been in the family for years and shows almost no signs of age. With the lining, I wear it pretty much fall through spring without any complaints. That being said, I'm not sure if there has been a quality change with the new ones, and the relaxed fit is not for everyone.

11. theEnd

theEnd Member

I have one of the older 'Burberry's" labeled coats and couldn't be happier with it. The fabric is unlike any other cotton gabardine I've seen. Mine has been in the family for years and shows almost no signs of age. With the lining, I wear it pretty much fall through spring without any complaints. That being said, I'm not sure if there has been a quality change with the new ones, and the relaxed fit is not for everyone.

Thanks for the review. I've experienced Montreal winters, so that's really saying something about the warmth of the coat. I'm also considering one with a removable wool lining. Should serve me well here in NYC.

12. Amiens

Amiens Well-Known Member

The coat's skirt should be below the knee, but not so long as to hobble you. You should be able to comfortably stride out whilst wearing it; it is a practical garment after all.

13. etb

etb Well-Known Member

Is this the one?

http://us.burberry.com/product/index...entPage=family

Thanks for the review. I've experienced Montreal winters, so that's really saying something about the warmth of the coat. I'm also considering one with a removable wool lining. Should serve me well here in NYC.

14. theEnd

theEnd Member