1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Frost/Nixon

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Joffrey, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Just saw this excellent movie tonight and thought it deserved it's own thread.

I thought Frank Langlella made the film in his depiction of President Nixon. Michael Sheen was good as well as Mr. Frost, though I thought he was channelling Austin Powers a few times in the film.

Another film that is made great by the sum of its parts (great direction, writing, acting across the board - even by the ladyfriend Mr. Frost flaunts around LA with).

I hope this wins a few oscars.

2. SystemShock

SystemShock Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to see this one. Have heard nothing but good about it...

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Amazing movie. I really loved it.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

intrigued by the trailers, hope it is on netflix soon like "Gonzo..." now is.

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Saw it two days ago. Astounding, I might like it even more than the Wrestler. Langella is god like here. There are a couple incredible scenes in this film that I think will become all time classics, the phone conversation and the final interview. There were a couple times when a packed theatre collectively forgot to breathe... just amazing I want to see it again.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Saw it two days ago. Astounding, I might like it even more than the Wrestler. Langella is god like here. There are a couple incredible scenes in this film that I think will become all time classics, the phone conversation and the final interview. There were a couple times when a packed theatre collectively forgot to breathe... just amazing I want to see it again.

The phone conversation and final interview were amazing too.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

The phone conversation and final interview were amazing too.

+1.

That phone conversation scene.... I loved it. Brilliantly done.

8. Magua

Magua Member

I just saw this today and am happy it wasn't all just hype. Very good stuff.

9. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Surprised I haven't seen more posts on this--thought it would appeal to SFers. Gucci loafers play a significant part, after all.

Very enjoyable though. Good pace to the movie. Lots of good acting--Langella, obv, but the others too--Sam Rockwell is always pretty good.

The girl was also in Starter for Ten--she's quite cute.

10. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

A man's shoes should have laces.

I thought it was excellent - particularly the phone conversation and the 4th interview. Frost's evolution was also interesting to watch and pulled off magnificently by Sheen.

11. SWiFt08

SWiFt08 Member

watched it, pretty good flick.

12. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Well-Known Member

Saw this it is a fantastic movie. Might have to do some reading up to see if Frost did as poorly in the first 3 sessions as depicted.

Great movie. It is funny the obsession about the loafers, I wonder if Nixon ever wore them?

13. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

What everyone has said, just a pleasure to watch, a completely unexpected thing (to me at least) given it being somewhat a biopic and the seemingly dry subject(a TV interview). Now that I've read Langella and Sheen play the same roles in the Broadway version, I kinda want to see the play too.

In addition to the Gucci loafers, there's a lot to like about this movie from a SF perspective. Great clothes, Frost's in particular all fit beautifully, and Mrs. Nixon's fixing the pocket square is a nice touch.

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

I was planning to see it anyway.

But now, it's a certainty.

Boy, will it bring back memories. If one were to talk about complex characters, I guess RMN would be a good place to start.

15. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

Saw Frank Langlella on Charlie Rose today and he reminded me that I'm an asshole for not seeing this yet.

16. Z!NG

Z!NG Well-Known Member

just finished this movie. rly liked it. but how historically accurate was it?

17. Smartalox

Smartalox Well-Known Member

Saw it, loved it

Can't wait for Bush / Stewart

18. Z!NG

Z!NG Well-Known Member

Saw it, loved it

Can't wait for Bush / Stewart

Stewart/Bush u mean [​IMG]

19. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Saw it on video. Magnificent. Anyone else notice the Turnbull & Asser shirts and ties?

20. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

It is a great film.