• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From The Annals Of AngloMania

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some beautiful pieces. How come I can't find anything of this quality in the UK?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd forgotten how good this thread is.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

A very welcome bump.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I'd forgotten how good this thread is.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

A very welcome bump.

I was searching for examples of Huntsman tailoring to verify something I'd found at a local thrift store that looked very similar. Sadly, while it turned out that the jacket wasn't a Huntsman, I was blown away by this thread.

I wonder how many such threads are hidden away in the annals of SF...

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I was searching for examples of Huntsman tailoring to verify something I'd found at a local thrift store that looked very similar. Sadly, while it turned out that the jacket wasn't a Huntsman, I was blown away by this thread.

I wonder how many such threads are hidden away in the annals of SF...

Thank you for resurrecting this wonderful thread. I can't believe I'd never seen it before. That 1936 Meyer & Mortimer is one of the more beautiful things I've seen in my life. The workmanship...

Does the OP perhaps have any updates for us?

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Thank you for resurrecting this wonderful thread. I can't believe I'd never seen it before....

Does the OP perhaps have any updates for us?

+1

Leon

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I actually have a 1959 navy Kilgour French and Stanbury 3 piece 6-2 DB suit that I should take pics of for this thread.

Yes, you should.

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words. I have been contemplating an update. It seems the suits, perhaps, have not received their fair due.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Is your San Fran man Willie Brown?

No, I doubt it. He's reputed to be a Brioni man from Wilkes.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
An addendum to the rustic tweeds.

Here's another three-button Huntsman. I can easily go an entire year without seeing any second-hand bespoke Huntsman, but this is my second in a month. When it rains and all. Once again, this tweed simply shines, managing to incorporate both glamour and rusticity in a single effortless shrug. The name and date have rather unhelpfully been clipped out (no respect for the curatorial arts!):

dsc00861la9.jpg

This close-up of the breast pocket gives a good sense of the depth of the tweed. Olive and slate blue flecks mingle with the grey herringbone and scarlet windowpane:

dsc00858lv8.jpg

The lining, as usual, is a perfect counterpoint. Can't you just see the whole history of England here?

dsc00854ec2.jpg

Three buttons on the sleeve:

dsc00901po4.jpg

Switching decades and several generations, this is the oldest jacket I own--a lovely large-pattern tweed from Meyer & Mortimer in 1936. I've even worn this a couple of times and felt no sense of costume. Note how the jacket is fashioned to button low on the bottom button. Nobody seems to do this anymore:

dsc00875ey7.jpg

The curved patch breast pocket is beautiful, but so artfully done it almost disappears entirely:

dsc00864cq7.jpg

Bellows pocket with button. Another (at this point) recherche touch:

dsc00863gz5.jpg

The construction on this jacket is phenomenal. I really doubt anybody working today could match this:

dsc00866wz4.jpg

dsc00867ac9.jpg

The wonderful old label, wearing its years with dignity:

dsc00869ek5.jpg

dsc00873ht9.jpg

I found this jacket just last friday, tailored in London by Luciano Campigotto. But don't let the name fool you. This is an exceedingly English confection. The inside label is a bit faded, though I can still make out an address in Lancashire Court off New Bond Street. A google search turns up a current address also in Mayfair in the Burlington Arcade. The cut of the jacket is interesting, something like an oh-so-slightly softened Huntsman--little padding at the shoulders, but with a definitely structured chest piece from which the rest of the jacket cascades. The late Donaldson, Williams & Ward employed a similar cut as a house style. If anybody's looking for a sleeper London tailor Campigotto might be worth checking out:

dsc00888wp0.jpg

The choice of cloth here is fantastic. The incorporation of the Prussian/cornflower blue surely rescues the jacket from run-of-the-mill gun check mediocrity:

dsc00878ew8.jpg

Hand-sewn circular reinforcement at the pockets:

dsc00886ae7.jpg

Very nicely done buttonholes:

dsc00879kq9.jpg

dsc00893up0.jpg

This shot of the back gives perhaps the best sense of the pattern and overall effect:

dsc00884el4.jpg

All of the Italian heritage is packed into the label:

dsc00883pt1.jpg

Extraordinary Post!
At the risk of being overly direct, where do you thrift?
Also what size are you?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Yes, you should.

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words. I have been contemplating an update. It seems the suits, perhaps, have not received their fair due.

Thank you so much for this and please do update!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
From time to time, I like to bump my favorite threads, like this one.

- B

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
One enjoys occasionally bumping a barely legal sultry, exotic tart on the underground.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
One enjoys occasionally bumping a barely legal sultry, exotic tart on the underground.

At other times on the underground, one brings out the umbrella with the poison dart at the tip.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads