• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 20140314: ITALIAN conservative business dress - CLASSICO CON SPREZZATURA

Gentlemen, many thanks to you all for making this a great Friday Challenge. For your consideration:-

• DonCologne

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • oldog/oldtrix

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • nabilmust

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • timotune

Votes: 38 31.9%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • SeaJen

• Cleav

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • RogerP

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • steffenbb11

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Murlsquirl

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • eviltimeban

• Pingson

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • MonkeyFace

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • EliodA

• coldsalmon

• archibaldleach

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • CousinDonuts

• Roycru

• PCK1

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • tchoy

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • upr_crust

• in stitches

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • TTO

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • Anden

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Rudals

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Danleyness

• Shen

Votes: 26 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things I most wish were mine:

Shoes: upr_crust
Socks: oldog/oldtrix
Backdrop: timotune (I love Wien: where was the photo taken, I wonder?)
Pocket square: GMMcL
Tie: TTO
Watch: Cleav
Photographic composition: Shen
Hair: Cleav
Cat: coldsalmon

Cheers,

Ac

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Everyone did a very good job of incorporating all the right material elements here - so a big well done to all the entrants - but it's fascinating to me that no-one, not even Pingson or Timotune, Murlsquirl, Sugarbutch or Stitchy, who I think were the best, came close to actually capturing that essence of Italian conservative business dress. Cleav and TTO looked excellent, for example, but still somehow entirely British! This makes me think that's not really about the clothes and shoes, but about the hair (and grooming more generally) and a certain ultimately indefinable cultural affinity that perhaps you really have to have grown up in to be able to carry off, even if you understand all of its components on a rational level. Either that or it's having your photographs taken by paparazzi... ;)

Thank you. I'm happy I was able to capture any aspect of it because I dressed for the day before knowing the challenge. I was in standard conservative business dress mode, but I re-tied the tie and re-stuffed the hank to approximate.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cox, and Shen. I was going to vote for more, but my next tier was almost, if not, everyone else, so I figured that kind of made my votes meaningless.

Great challenge, Cleav, and well dressed, all!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are the lapels on this jacket bowing?

Fit looks off in the chest

LL

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bummed I missed out but everyone posted solid entries and deserve a well earned applause in my book. It was interesting to see the subtleties in the differences. It really made me look at the finer details of everyones fit. :slayer:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cox, and Shen. I was going to vote for more, but my next tier was almost, if not, everyone else, so I figured that kind of made my votes meaningless.

Great challenge, Cleav, and well dressed, all!

You're very kind ITG.

I wish I could have worn that DB for back to back FC however it didn't seem the right thing to do.

Very pleased that it seems to have gone well though phew!

gambit50

Reaction score

Are the lapels on this jacket bowing?

Fit looks off in the chest

Agree they are bowing a bit though he could have a relatively large chest they should not pop off the way they do.
Or perhaps it is the way in which the waist is suppressed. Too high and the curve becomes too much, too soon.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're very kind ITG.

I wish I could have worn that DB for back to back FC however it didn't seem the right thing to do.

Very pleased that it seems to have gone well though phew!

That's why I didn't enter this week - last week's suit is currently my only one, pending alterations to some I've thrifted.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard choice this time, so I broke my own record in number of votes. 3 of them have most votes atm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads