1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 08/02/13 - Wear a hat without looking like a fool.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Victor Elfo, Jul 30, 2013.

Who pulled it off better?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2013.
  1. Holdfast

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Victor Elfo

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. RDiaz

58 vote(s)
    63.7%
  4. upr_crust

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. TTO

24 vote(s)
    26.4%
  6. adagio

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. HansderHund

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. Caustic Man

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. emptym

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. OTM

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  11. PTWilliams

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  12. Hampton

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  13. in stitches

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  14. Greggy500

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  15. Thin White Duke

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  16. TactileOne

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  17. Mr. Claymore

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  18. Tirailleur1

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  19. jcmeyer

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  20. Kai

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

I take it back. Please thank me. Without internet praise I'm nothing. Nothing! ;)

I've hardly uttered a negative word about any fit on this forum due to lack of status, but as a newly minted Senior Member with over100 posts and many leather-bound books, I'm going to say that VE's fit in this thread would have been a better entry into a "Dress like an IT professional" challenge.

And I mean that with all the love one can have for a stranger on the internet. :nodding:

2. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

A colleague! Btw, nice shirt collar, it really flatters you. [​IMG]

3. jcmeyer

:lol: touche

1 person likes this.
  4. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

On a more serious tone, I'm not happy with my outfit either. The twill tie is not coherent with the fit, a knit or a grenadine garza grossa would be more suitable, though I like the color (yes, it's not a color by the physicist point of view, pedants). I do not fell comfortable wearing a pocket square, but I tried to pull one off for the challenge, the colors were good (burgundy and navy, with a bit of cream), but still would like to not have worn it. I should've buttoned my collar and I should've not worn the incoherent tie, it'd look better, in my opinion. Aside from that, everything is on point and not well represented by the photograph I gave you.

5. jcmeyer

Oh man, I didn't even pick on the right person. I had you confused with emptym on this one. My most sincere apologies. I may not completely love what you were wearing but you by no means look like an IT guy. Haha, I'm going back to saying only nice things until I can at least direct them at the right people. :crackup: :embar:

6. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't impkting that his fit was bad. I was merely stating that RDiaz was gping to win regardless

1 person likes this.
  7. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I liked VE's ensemble. It's not like one should go walking around the city dressed like that but he mentioned it was for a showroom at a winery, so the rustic feel makes sense. On printed neats, I think you can get away with them for more casual stuff if the texture somewhat resembles madder (dull and matte), or if the neats are big enough, bold or figurative.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

For the record, I also liked VE's outfit. I just thought it was a bit of a cop-out to wear a newsboy cap rather than a hat. A newsboy cap being 100x easier to pull off.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Thanks, SB. Posted the link on WAYWRN but forgot to do the same thing here [​IMG]

1 person likes this.