1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. findingthingsou

findingthingsou Member

I'm curious: have you tried bespoke from other houses/tailors? If so, how do they compare in your opinion?

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Well-Known Member

To Charvet? I've tried a bunch of shirt makers: budd, napolisumisura, T&A, Hermes, Burgos, Chan, kiton and probably a few others over the past 15 years. The biggest differences in my view between charvet and the others I've used are (1) charvet works in tiny units of measure. They will make an incredibly small tweak if you want, and they view minor adjustments as important; (2) they are stylistically agnostic. Loose fit, trim fit, shorter sleeve, longer sleeve, whatever you want is ok. This can make things a little tricky if you've never been through the experience of having a shirt made before, but they are helpful and can guide you. Just be aware that if you sat "give me the house style" they will say "what do you the house style to be?". (3) the fabric bolts at vendome make fabric selection much easier and more likely to result in getting what you really want. So much easier then looking at swatches, and the fabrics are beautiful; (4) you have to want the fused material in the collar for stiffness. If you don't want a stiff collar then charvet isn't for you. And if you care a lot about hand stitching then go somewhere else. (5) it's good value for the money. I know that sounds silly at such a high price point, but when you compare it to high end rtw, it's about the same. I'd recommend if you are going to be in Paris three or four times over a six month to one year period. It will take three or four fittings to get it right.

1 person likes this.
  4. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

^
    Well said

That's the way it should be! For shirts or working with a tailor for clothing.

I don't have an answer for "what's your house style?" when you are creating something so individual as a custom suit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. findingthingsou

findingthingsou Member

Their website seems to be down. Do you normally ring them up?

6. Griffyndor

No. Never.

7. Griffyndor

That's awful. Just horrendous.

8. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

It's a confession not a boast

9. findingthingsou

findingthingsou Member

All right, thanks. Normally just step on in then? I'll make it a priority on my next Paris visit.

10. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

You're new, and you seem to be friendly, so will give you some advice. The tone on here is snarky and irreverent. Answers to obvious questions like "do/can you call?" will be met with appropriate levels of sarcasm.

11. Griffyndor

Yes, they do bespoke by walk-in. The cutters work there and there are always people to help you. I recall that some years ago a member posted about an experience where he had difficulty with the door at charvet, and was so put off by trying to get in that he wrote off the whole thing and left. You can probably search the board if you want to read about it. I've found that most doors can be opened with either a push or a pull, and the remainder generally revolve or are automatic. I don't remember having any difficulty with the entrance at charvet.

12. Dandy Wonka

It's not nice.

13. findingthingsou

findingthingsou Member

I wasn't being sarcastic either. I read everything on the Internet with levity, lol.

Thanks everyone (in seriousness).

14. brax

brax Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  15. brax

brax Well-Known Member

Still too warm to wear it but we're getting closer. But to kill the mystery buzz, it's the black version that is still (but just barely) available at The suitable Wardrobe.

16. Dandy Wonka

17. brax

brax Well-Known Member

18. HighToned

HighToned Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.