1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Apr 28, 2013.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Because I have had issues with numerous other makers (Oxxford, Ambrosi, Matuozzo, etc.). It is assumed by many that I did something to cause these issues. It doesn't pay to whistle blow around here.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

you have high standards. I respect that. you pay your money, you deserve to be satisfied.

3. mafoofan

Thank you. My standards are high, yes. But I think if you ask any of my tailors, they'd say I am easier to work with than most. Yes, I take an interest in the work, but I also recognize that the craftsman needs space and discretion to do the best job possible. That's why bespoke is always a leap of faith. Sadly, more often than not, you get burned. Even more sadly, since we want so badly to buy into the romance of it all, we often don't want to recognize when that happens.

Anyway, the examples I've called out involved sheer dishonesty and malpractice. I'm not talking about things not fitting right or having the wrong color lining. I mean: things not getting delivered at all, prices getting trumped up at the last second, delivery of a less expensive product than the one paid for, cancellation of appointments to see more important clients, etc.

That's why I value Rubinacci so much and will continue to pay the high prices--they treat me well and do right by me, with minimal intervention on my part.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. ThinkDerm

that, in and of itself, is worth the prices you pay.

5. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Well-Known Member

I think I have a similar attitude. My expectations are rather high, which is why Charvet disappointed me. Not in terms of service but rather in terms of value for money and making process. The fit wouldn't have been good if I hadn't truly driven the shirtmaker. That's not expected at Charvet. That being said, their idea of a good fit might be different than mine.

You won't regret Maison Bonnet. My glasses (in horn) are truly great and I don't regret ordering them at all. They're also very good in terms of piece of advice given based on your face. Much much better than any eyewear shop around the world, in my experience.

6. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

sounds similar to my Charvet experience...

1 person likes this.
  7. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

i don't expect that you'll have these experiences in Paris (at least not with the names discussed here), but please do control THE FOO.

8. mafoofan

For anyone who didn't know, Lavabre Cadet was acquired by Camille Fournet. Marie Beyer is no longer working with the company. They are still doing "made to order" gloves, which may or may not be bespoke, but I can't tell from my phone conversation. It involves measurements and tracings, but no fittings.

9. andreyb2

andreyb2 Well-Known Member

I don't think (and this is personal opinion only) that she offers level of experience / service Foo wants.

I am her customer, so I know what to expect. I haven't met with Foo, but everyone who spent a couple of years on sf.net knows Foo's personality very well. :)

Andrey

10. HighToned

HighToned Well-Known Member

I will try... but I'm scare : )

3 people like this.
  11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Well, who does offer the level of experience/service that Foo requires?

If Charvet doesn't, then a logical person has to ask if it is them or him.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  12. mafoofan

You know, most of the tailors I've had issues with are the same that others have also had issues with. The difference is that I thought I was doing our community a favor by vocalizing.

13. Xiaogou

Hey Foo, by all means, please keep this "community" in the loop. Your feedback is invaluable. i don't always agree with your assessments but certainly respect you for putting it on the line so to speak.

14. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Well-Known Member

How would you guys describe the difference between Camps and Cifo if someone was trying to decide which of them to go with for a couple of bespoke jackets?

15. ctp120

ctp120 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see :foo: in Cifonelli just for comparison's sake. I prefer the softer lines of Rubinacci in theory, but an apples to oranges look at each would be great.

16. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

I have seen only one Camps coat in person, so take my uneducated opinion for what it's worth (I have seen several Cifo coats) - Cifo has a more assertively roped shoulder (La Cigarette as they call it), and more stylized lapels. The Camps, however, was cut leaner than the Cifo, but that could perhaps have been a customer-specific choice.

All in, they were both very similar and one could easily identify them as cousins within the same tailoring family.

17. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

Dirnelli's description is spot-on.

1 person likes this.
  18. ThinkDerm

Love that you vocalize foo. FEAR the FOO.

19. Xiaogou

I have fond memories of Foo in an Oxxford jacket, Ambrosi trousers, and an Anna Matuozzo shirt.

20. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Well-Known Member

Thanks Kuro (and, by extension, dirnelli)