1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

French cuffs, no tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alaaro, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Robwynge

Robwynge Well-Known Member

Isn't this Tom Ford's singnature look? He always wears french cuffs and no tie. He also unbuttons the top two or three buttoms, which is definitely an optional part of the look :)

2. fusherino

fusherino Well-Known Member

this seems so backwards to me, i prefer barrel cuffs, and always like to add a tie when i can

3. Tailor In Style

Tailor In Style Active Member

French cuffs with jeans?
    I say that is mighty fine. Its an interesting look giving the whole ensemble just a touch of being more formal.

A good option is to wear it with the knot links (cuff links made in balls of thread), these are usually not as formal as metal cuff links.

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My opinion hasn't changed. Although I think it's fine if others wear fc without a tie or with jeans, I would not.

5. fashionsnob

fashionsnob Well-Known Member

Yes, this would looks great. Most fashion experts prefer that you wear a tie when wearing cufflinks. You can wear a French cuffed shirt without a tie if you also leave the cufflinks off. Just roll up the sleves a little below your elbow and leave the top button unbuttoned. This way you will still see the French cuffs. The following site has good advice on formal attire: http://www.blacktieguide.com/ This site is good for learning how to match your tie and the dress code for neckties: http://www.ties-necktie.com/ten-gold...g-clothing.php Another thing: Keep your shirts ironed! French cuffs are elegant and classy, and so should be the shirt... I hope this helps, R.