1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fragrance Top 10

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by rach2jlc, Nov 10, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Guerlain Vetiver has a smoky spicy tobacco component. I have the vintage formulation though and I suspect it's much more prominent there. Others to consider are Hermes Bel Ami, which is sweet and smoky spicy, or Michael Kors, which has a tobacco note but does have loads of patchouli too.

Oh, I forgot about Michael Kors. Good suggestion!

Also, kwilkie, after you've sniffed/sampled, order online at discounters and save money. I particularly like www.scentiments.com, but there are other good ones out there as well. Don't pay retail!!!

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Good thinkin! Thanks Rach.

Sweet, I ask for some advice and get all 4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods to answer. NOICE!!!!!

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Good thinkin! Thanks Rach.

Sweet, I ask for some advice and get all 4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods to answer. NOICE!!!!!

Counting me as one of the "4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods" is a mistake. I know much, much less than the other three, and count myself as little more than an enthusiastic amateur.

BTW, get a copy of this book. You will really enjoy it and it will change your appreciation of fragrance. Plus it is a great read.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Counting me as one of the "4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods" is a mistake. I know much, much less than the other three, and count myself as little more than an enthusiastic amateur.

BTW, get a copy of this book. You will really enjoy it and it will change your appreciation of fragrance. Plus it is a great read.

Your book recommendations have never steered me wrong, but I certainly hope this one is an easier read.

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Your book recommendations have never steered me wrong, but I certainly hope this one is an easier read.

oh, it's a lot of fun to read. No you can't have mine.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

ooh, here's a review:

Edwardian Bouquet (Floris) **
    On paper, this handsome chypre has a classic galbanum profile: fresh, bitter green, slightly musky. On skin, it turns particularly and distinctly urinous with a curdled-milk smell, and would invite speculations on one's continence.

(they didn't like that one)

if you go to Perfumestheguide.com, they have a newsletter with quarterly updates - their first one was free, but subsequent ones require a subscription (boo hiss). That way you can get a feel for their reviews. ALTHOUGH the book has a substantial discussion on fragrance types and whatnot.

7. EOD2009

EOD2009 Member

what about davidoff cool water??

8. rach2jlc

A lot of people like this one, especially for its similarity to Creed GIT. BUT, really, it's so over-worn and so many guys have worn it over the years, that I'd try and recommend something else.

Try something a little less ordinary from these pages; there are tons of good ones to try!

I recommend to most for a good, friendly spring/summer scent Eau de lalique.

9. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Very common and synthetic smelling to me, but still smells good with good longevity and sillage. It's a classic.

10. rach2jlc

Very common and synthetic smelling to me, but still smells good with good longevity and sillage. It's a classic.
    By the way, what IS your avatar? It looks like a Mollusk of Decrepitude ensnaring a Frying Pan. [​IMG]

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

By the way, what IS your avatar? It looks like a Mollusk of Decrepitude ensnaring a Frying Pan. [​IMG]

It's like a Pisces sign from a Smashing Pumpkins album. But I like your definition better.

12. effang

effang Well-Known Member

how exactly do you go about buying a new scent? it is so contrarian.

maybe i'm missing something here, but i'm buying fragrances so that i smell good to the opposite sex. but what appeals to the opposite sex may be completely different from what appeals to me.

yes, the same holds for clothes, but visually men and women are more aligned, supposedly we smell things completely different...

just wondering how to go about it. bring a girl with me to try all the scents?

13. joel_954

joel_954 Well-Known Member

maybe i'm missing something here, but i'm buying fragrances so that i smell good to the opposite sex. but what appeals to the opposite sex may be completely different from what appeals to me.

yes, the same holds for clothes, but visually men and women are more aligned, supposedly we smell things completely different...

Different girls will like different scents. Depends on age, experience and overall preferance. Start out with Dior Homme (original, not Extreme or Sport), Terre de Hermes by Hermes and Curve for Men (cheap, but very good). Maybe try Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin also.

Then order some niche samples from Lucky Scent or The Perfumed Court. Try Straight To Heaven by By Kilian, L'Air du desert marocain by Tauer, Oud 27 or Rose 31 by Le Labo and, finally, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

(...)

If you have a steady girl, you can take her with you. Otherwise, wear what you like and smells good to you.

15. rach2jlc

how exactly do you go about buying a new scent? it is so contrarian. maybe i'm missing something here, but i'm buying fragrances so that i smell good to the opposite sex. but what appeals to the opposite sex may be completely different from what appeals to me. yes, the same holds for clothes, but visually men and women are more aligned, supposedly we smell things completely different... just wondering how to go about it. bring a girl with me to try all the scents?
    If you have a steady girl, you can take her with you. Otherwise, wear what you like and smells good to you.
    Women are not guaranteed to be the best judge, in that they are just as susceptible to hype as anybody else. What one likes isn't what another likes and, really, (as with men) they'll often get a 'brand' that they know or what is hyped by the SA, which means you'll end up with some shitty Hugo Boss or Acqua di Gio or, worse, Sean John. Trust your own nose, get what you like, and the confidence you have while wearing it will make it work. Try some of the new "deeper/darker" sort of men's scents, a la Tom Ford, Gucci Pour Homme (or Gucci Pour Homme II), Guerlain L'instant, Narciso Rodriguez HIM, Prada Amber Pour Homme or Infusion d'iris Pour Homme, YSL Rive Gauche, etc.

16. effang

effang Well-Known Member

follow up...

does anybody in here have a good recommendation for a non-irritating deodorant (only, not looking for anti-perspirant). my old spice is giving me rashes these days.

at the stores they recommended anthony logicstics.

Thanks

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

follow up...

does anybody in here have a good recommendation for a non-irritating deodorant (only, not looking for anti-perspirant). my old spice is giving me rashes these days.

at the stores they recommended anthony logicstics.

Thanks

I'm rather fond of Speed Stick 24/7, but then again I seldom experience irritation so this is kind of a worthless post.

18. effang

effang Well-Known Member

I'm rather fond of Speed Stick 24/7, but then again I seldom experience irritation so this is kind of a worthless post.

yeah, it kinda is lol. you should try old spice. the ladies really like it.

anybody else?

19. Dane

Dane Well-Known Member

yeah, it kinda is lol. you should try old spice. the ladies really like it.

anybody else?

why no love for the antiperspirants? I don't get deodorants...they don't actually do anything but perfume your armpits???

20. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

why no love for the antiperspirants? I don't get deodorants...they don't actually do anything but perfume your armpits???

I sweat less with deod than anti-p. SRSLY.