1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

With the pace that Vettel demonstrated, Webber's only chance was an SV DNF. Even with a perfect launch, it's almost certain that SV would have closed the gap at the first stop and taken the lead. Utterly dominant.

The Lotus/Kimi situation is interesting. If they really haven't paid him all year, his continuing to drive for them is a complete refutation of his rep of being in it only for himself.

2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

While its unlikey MW could have staved him off, at least we'd have seen some chase for a while. Also, in clear air SV could run that pace, I'd like to see him do that after being behind a car getting his tires destroyed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

Apparently his manager put in a petiton for a winding up order of Lotus (which a creditor can do) , called off at the last minute...
    Lotus lawyer saying everything is in hand now...
    :slayer:

4. sugarbutch

C'mon, idfnl. You gotta give the man credit when it's due. He mopped the floor with the rest of the drivers on Sunday. As Nigel Roebuck would say, it was a drive from the top drawer. Plus, he raised a metaphorical middle finger to the scolds at the FIA with his second round of doughnuts. Good lad.

5. sugarbutch

Also, I'm shocked that you have nothing to say about the .8s that Ferrari gave to Fernando in the pits so that he could pass Massa.

6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

It was a flawless drive. He has a way of managing the tires that nobody else can match. Of course auto racing is supposed to be about driving the shit out of a car, but that's a different debate.

I liked the donuts too, but unfortunately I'll never forgive him for Multi21.

I didn't notice it. Figures.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I read this today... I thought it was spot on:

The way the formula is constructed the tyres protect the leading car, and anyone pushing to catch up simply slips back as his tyres degrade.

1 person likes this.
  8. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

So qualify higher, get your start right, and have a decent strategy.

9. sugarbutch

To be fair, whoever's been in second place has typically had plenty of clear air, too...

10. sugarbutch

11. sugarbutch

Move of the day: Bottas on Gutiérrez

For the first time this season, I agree that things have gotten boring. I realized as I was going to bed last night that I hadn't watched quali and knew I hadn't missed anything. And, despite the chance to watch live at a decent hour and take advantage of the live timing online (something I typically enjoy), I watched on DVR two hours late. I guess eight in a row is my limit...

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Vettel is the 3rd or even 4th faster driver on the grid. Without that car he'd be nowhere. I'm hoping the rules changes are going to shake things up. In reality F1 is dominated by Newey's design team, not a driver.

To Butch's point, I was doing shit online and watching the race from the corner of my eye. I didn't pay attention to most of it. Vettel was toying with the field, it reminded me of Prost's WC season with Williams... he just managed a lead and won races.

It was boring. The tires are wrecking the racing. Watching Vettel's in-car, he looked like he was cruising around, barely pushing the car. It reminded me of some of Schumacher's dominant races when he was with Ferrari, some of the most boring F1 ever.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  13. sugarbutch

Vettel is a great driver. He showed well in his debut with BMW, and he won a wet race in a Toro Rosso (essentially a Newey design, but certainly before RBR and Newey hit their stride and began to dominate). He has shown that he can win from in front and overtake to win, too. Great drivers get into the great cars. If he were just a good driver, he'd be like Damon Hill or Jenson Button with a solitary WDC to his name.

Is he the best on the grid right now? Impossible to say, but also irrelevant. He's good enough to win in a car capable of winning. If you put him in the Mercedes, he'd certainly be the equal of Lewis, and in the Ferrari he would undoubtedly keep up with Alonso.

1 person likes this.
  14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I agree, I think my point is he is being given too much credit for being a super-driver. He's not, he's equal to other top guys but no more.

15. sugarbutch

16. xerdox

xerdox New Member

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Apart from some team favoritism, which other drivers would have blown away Webber like Vettel has? I'm not so sure Alonso, Raikkonen or Hamilton would have more than double the points of Webber that Vettel has with one race to go.

18. sugarbutch

I take your point, but I think you overestimate Webber.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bagfactorychina

Bagfactorychina New Member

wow.. cool
    I like red color

1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Webber has shit starts, it destroys his races. Minus some great single laps in quali, he's lost motivation. You need a lot of commitment at this level, even with tires you can't race on, and he's not into it. This is making Vettel look more dominant than he is.