1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

My buddy and I watched some of the '97 race through the gap between the roadway and walkway on the bridge and the gap between advertising hoardings. Probably the closest I've been to an F1 car at full chat.

1 person likes this.
  2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

For me it was Canada '93.

I was late to free practice 1 and the hairpin was the closest to the metro station exit. I ran over and smashed my face on the fence. A few seconds later it was Mika Hakkinen at full tilt blasting past and then slowing to round the corner. And then he blasted off. First I was astonished at the way that car shook my entire frame as it blasted past. But the most memorable moment in all of F1 I have personally witnessed was a second later... his helmet viciously slapping the back of the head rest as he accelerated thru to 2nd and 3rd. I understood F1 with an intimacy I had never before and never since. How many cars can do that?

For anyone that has not seen this live... do it. Its different.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. sugarbutch

4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

^ Looks like Kimi to Red Bull.

LOL at Vettel's comments that he wants a say in who gets the seat... of course he does. And he doesn't want Kimi. I'll be Di Resta gets the seat if he actually gets a say.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Will miss Mark. I've rooted for him since my first full season watching F1 he was in the Jaguar (now Red Bull) in those days. I remember he always blew away his team mates until Rosberg at Williams. Then vettel showed up... Will follow endurance racing much more now with his switch to Porsche. Anyway, should be interested to see what happens at Red Bull. Been reading a lot of comments that the Red Bull Yound Driver program will be considered a joke if one of the Torro Rosso drivers doesn't get the seat.

6. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

if Ricciardo had another 2-3 more seasons up his sleeve, he'd be an ideal candidate. i'd love to see what he could do in a faster car.

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Great race. Loved seeing Vettel park it.

The post race comments before they hit the podium are the best thing about F1 save the races.

Rosberg drove well. Webber did amazing.

8. ianGP

ianGP Well-Known Member

oh hello... haven't been here in ages!

Caught the last half of this shrapnel-infested race, what with all the tires getting blown up!

The last 4-5 laps were super! If there were one more lap, I believe Hammy would've been on the podium!

Di Resta and Hammy race was great to watch - lots of over/under and technical moves that were thought of 2-3 turns ahead.

Also - speculations on the RBR seat? I heard the commentators mention a few others besides Kimi... Sutil perhaps? He's been a killer ever since his comeback.

@idfnl - I thought I was the only one that cheered when he lost his gearbox :lol:

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

^ no chance. Love seeing that smug motherfucker lose points.

10. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

Finger boy just experienced Malaysian karma.

11. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

Double

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  12. sugarbutch

Hamilton has the shittiest luck. Well except maybe Massa.

13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Di Resta a close 3rd.

14. hennree

hennree Well-Known Member

Rumour has it the young drivers test mid July at Silverstone may be used as a Pirelli test with the current drivers. If that turns out to be the case I'll definitely go along! Only £15 per day and Silverstone is only 40min drive for me...

I guess Mercedes will still be banned though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Mercedes at pole but they never hold up technically for the entire race. Vettel wins again.

I was talking to a German work mate about Vettel and I said I remember his first race for BMW scoring the one point when he replaced Kubica due to injury. I couldn't remember Kubica's name but then noticed he has been out for years due to injury.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  16. sugarbutch

Like last week when they won? The tire construction this weekend is completely different, and it comes just as Mercedes got on terms with the steel-belted tires which had been used all season long.

It was a good win for Vettel, but a squeaker.

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

What a stupid decision for Lotus to bring in Kimi for soft tires. He was never going to catch Vettel. He was up like 13 seconds with 10 laps to go. He wasn't going to get caught up at 1.3s a lap. I was really, really surprised when they brought it him.

I'd always rather defend the lead then have to pass for it. In addition, they send Kimi out on a scrubbed set. That 1 or 2 seconds worth of gain on a fresh tire would have been enough but again, I just don't get the decision.

18. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

It's possible there was some confusion because of Kimi's radio problems but yes in hind site it was a mistake again.

RENAULT engines 1,2,3 is impressive, I wonder if they will still be the leaders with the big changes next year.

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Doubt it.

They made a great decision bringing in RG and forcing Vettel to cover at the end. Kimi was 15 s ahead on a car that was friendly on its tires. They played it beautifully and then got cute.

20. hennree

hennree Well-Known Member

Looks like there is a possibility of Sauber releasing Hulkenburg as they're unable to pay his salary.

Wonder who will snap him up? Ferrari to replace Massa? Lotus to replace RG? I'm not sure a top team would consider replacing someone mid-season nowadays. Maybe he'll go lower down the field until next year.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013