1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Sucks that the 2 drivers I like the least are in a 2 horse race for the title. Guess I would rather see Vettel than Alonso.

2. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

And Vettel is in the lead now. Hamilton gives up.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Not exactly giving up:

4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

The excitement of the early season flux in performance has worn off. Teams have figured out stuff, the racing is more sedentary now. A bit more boring. Looks like Red Bull wont be caught. McLaren is nowhere, Ferrari wont have time to catch up.

Kind of lame to be back to Vettel milking the gap at the front and coasting to a win. McLaren has really blown it. They should have built up a big lead by now, Red Bull could not have caught up.

5. sugarbutch

Who'da thunk Massa would be pushing Alonso? I guess that team orders ban doesn't apply to Ferrari. Again.

6. sugarbutch

7. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

If Hamilton's unhappy with his car now, think about what he's going to do with Mercedes. Force India was faster than Schumacher's ride today.

The question is whether Vettel is a worthy champion if he does end up on top.

8. sugarbutch

In my book, if you win the championship, you are a worthy champion. With Vettel, I'm not sure how there can be any doubt. Like Alonso, he seems to win if the car is capable of it. The Red Bull must have been quite a pile (relatively speaking of course) earlier this season.

As for Hamilton and Mercedes, I remain depressed. However, at least he won't get his hopes up there. At McLaren, they give him almost enough car to win, but not quite. :D

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Team orders are allowed.

Massa was quicker, no doubt. He was told to back off.

10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Agree. The season is too long not to denote you as worthy champion.

The element of variance is reliability. Most F1 is now bulletproof. In a way its great, but I do miss the occasional Alain Prost blowing up a Ferrari to allow Senna to take the win, etc. An occasional mechanical failure is not bad for racing. Granted there was a time in F1 where this was too much. I recall a race, I want to say San Marino, I dont know, where 6 cars finished. I think it was early/mid 90's.

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

I was about to say that in 2011 the team order ban was lifted because it's unenforceable anyway. The last poorly disguised team order was the 2010 race with Alonso and Massa and it came over the radio where they told Massa that Alonso was faster than him (which was not true) and asked him to confirm he understood.

12. sugarbutch

Ah, didn't realize they'd rescinded that rule. I never agreed with it, but if you have the rule, you gotta enforce it.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  14. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

15. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

i think they should not have any rules stipulating whether there should be team orders or not; since F1 is all about technicalities, developing cars outside the rules, bending the rules, etc., what happens if a team order is made but the driver doesn't obey? should he be reprimanded/penalised? it's stupid.

the second half of this season has been great - it looks like it's going to be a climatic end to the season, remiscent of 2007, 2008 and 2010. by far the most impressive driver this season has been Raikkonen - hasn't won a race yet but is 3rd in the race.

16. sugarbutch

India was truly dull. It's sad when the highlight of a race is a steering wheel change.

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Couldnt disagree more. The 1st half of the season was probably the best F1 ever.

Since midseason its been drab Red Bull domination again. Vettel leading start to finish 4 races in a row and you think thats exciting? Pretty boring.

No kidding. Red Bull 1 - 2 again is really tiresome.

By the way, the SMOG in India is just beyond belief. Its disgusting. That air was so dirty it almost looked like fog. F1 needs to reconsider this, last year was really bad but this year the smog was even worse. It makes the sport look really shitty racing in the midst of all that pollution.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  18. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

.... Thought that was fog...

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

No, it was smog. Even worse than last year. Interesting, last year they made fun of it but were told to shut up about it this year.

20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Looks like Hulkenberg is heading to Sauber.