1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Formal Event wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoreman1782, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Plain-toes are traditional, and to be preferred, in my opinion.  I would not wear caps either.

Nonetheless, C&J sells a black patent cap-toe for evening wear, and they can hardly be considered avant guarde.  Are they just out of it?  Caving in to the American market?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

That's what I meant. And apart from the archives, all I've got to go on is what the old guys from the Andover shop (ahem) and J. Press, which has been around since 1918, told me (although they too now sell notch lapel versions). I'll ask to look at the old J. Press catalogues next time I drop by (very seldomly do I do so.) The design doesn't surprise me though. I could easily see old New Englanders giving the fancy lads at Esquire and in NYC the middle finger, in a strange (strange becuase the situations are somewhat reversed) way not unlike how traditionalists here decry flashy Italian designers over good traditional makers and customs.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

LA Guy, why does the Andover Shop make you "ahem"?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

If you look back at old posts, you'll see that I had rather a rather unpleasant experience with them, that one of their clients (?) came to their defense, lines were drawn, and pistols (nearly) so.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono Well-Known Member

Proper evening footwear is really de rigeur, but it is acceptable for the young or impecunious to wear good quality black non-capped shoes which have been highly polished. Cummerbunds should invariably be black, as should waistcoats. The exceptions are tartan cummerbund on Burns' Night, or specific military items worn by those entitled to them. Anything else is rather vulgar. A suggestion for shoes - I have noticed that American servicemen are allowed to wear patent shoes for some reason (aren't they taught to polish shoes properly?). These are the sort of thing: shoes

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Oh, haha, ok, I'm not getting involved [​IMG] I'm an old Andover alum myself, so I spent a fair amount of time there when I was in school. I generally found the people in shop pleasant but I know some of my friends felt uncomfortable, like they were being looked over whenever they walked in.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I don't like their being and optional part of the uniform either. The decision to add these to the uniform was made in the late 70s, early 80s, when there was no longer a draft, and the Army wasn't in such great shape. Adding these was just one other way to make things a little easier, trying to provide an incentive to join.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

sorry,

I wouldn't advise to go out and get a pair of evening shoes. highly polished black lace plain toes are fine. I don't have evening shoes myself, and if I do get some in the near future, I think that it is more likely that I will get some velvet slippers.

I think that is is perfectly acceptable for an american in his early twenties to wear business shoes with his evening clothes.

another interesting take on this - I remember reading years ago somebody writting that he wore a regular white business shirt and black business shoes with his tux, because he felt it made him look like he wasn't overly excited to be there, that he did this kind of thing so often that he couldn't be bothered to carry around a stud shirt and patent leather shoes. I found that an interesting take.

9. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, your discussion provides some good insight for me, the lowly first-time buyer. I still think it'll probably come down to what's available in store wherever I go, my budget doesn't allow for too much specificity of details. If it's between a cruddy tux at $300 or a black canali at $400, the suit will likely win. What're the odds of that, though? Any looks of approval or horror at this? I can probably get it for $400 if I act quick - which I probably won't. I'm sure it'll go back down to $400 after xmas. I like that it's "imported." Ha, from where?

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

As far as the styling goes, it is just what the doctor ordered. Can't say about the construction, however.

11. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

Not bad-looking at all, but try to wait for the price to drop, as it almost definitely will.

12. effortless qool

effortless qool Member

somebody said black is reserved for formal wear only, but i believe dior homme makes black suits which are not necessarily formal ones.

13. acole

acole Well-Known Member

Nobody is disputing the existence of informal black suits, only the propriety of wearing them. I don't see why it should be such an all-or-nothing issue. Wearing a black suit to a formal event looks tacky, but wearing one at a trendy bar or club shouldn't raise eyebrows. (Full disclosure: I own both a black suit and dinner attire).

As for the original question, did anyone suggest ebay yet? It would be nice to get a canvased jacket; I'm assuming that Jos A Banks number is fused...

14. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

No chunky calfskin shoes for formal wear. l personally wear black patent pumps with a peaked lapel tux with one button. This is much more traditional. lf you are going to wear conventional shoes, make sure the sole is leather and very thin.