1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Forbes Tie Rankings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 5thave, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

You could make a weak argument that Drake's and Charles Hill are incorporated in the Turnbull & Aser rating but the list basicly leaves out most of the best tie makers in the world.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Can't speak for what I don't own, but I would rate my Brioni ties over the one Kiton I have. I think well of Massimo Bizzochi and Battistoni, although no one in this thread has mentioned them. Agree that Talbott was conspicuous by his absence. Based on the couple of Charvet ties I have owned, however, I couldn't argue against their placing them at the top.

3. lisapop

lisapop Well-Known Member

Often staid (sometimes mischievous, even outlandish), but always the paragon of elegance.
    Grayson

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

(imageWIS @ Mar. 28 2005,13:12)
    Yes, if you're going to list RL ties you'd think Purple Label would make it over Polo.
    Speaking of which, which company now manufactures makes the Italian-made RLPL ties? Back in the old days T&A made both the RLPL shirts and ties. Jon.
    Lorenzini? koji
    Seems obvious, no? But does Lorenzini make their ties in-house? Jon.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Voice of dissent:

I don't find the list that far out of line. Remember these are business people, not fashion mavens like us. Seems to me those near the top of the list spend a lot of $ on marketing...

'Nuff said?

6. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Well-Known Member

Btw, Andrew's Ties are great for the price.. Check out their store on Madison Ave. anytime you find yourself in NYC.

Panzer

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

Polo used to make their ties on 28th Street in NYC.
    Guess where they are being made now?

China of course.

Their margins are amazing.
    Silks still come from England and Italy.

8. mxb95

mxb95 Active Member

I couldn't agree more.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Except that both Drake and CH make different ties, in different styles, for their own labels. I prefer their own designs.

10. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Manton, I've been wondering what ties hang in your closet. Obviously Marinella, Drake's and Charles Hill. What are the Manton Tie Rankings?

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Paul Smith ties used to be great, when they were manufactured in england. Now that they are made in Italy by some probably big tie factory, their design is uninspiring, and the quality is down. Just like everything by Paul Smith in the PS or London lines, by the way.

Luc

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Yeah, manton -- do you have any RJ?

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

(AlanC @ Mar. 29 2005,05:59) Manton, I've been wondering what ties hang in your closet. Obviously Marinella, Drake's and Charles Hill. What are the Manton Tie Rankings?
    Yeah, manton -- do you have any RJ?
    I'm Rick James, bitch. (yeah, I know that has nothing to do with shirts, I just wanted to say it) Jon.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

No RJ.

Nicky outnumbers all the others.  My favorite make.  Not a 7 or double-4 in the bunch, but their "standard" construction is really great.  Perfect, asymetrical four-in-hand knot.  Great length, great width (on the wide side, but never more than 4").  Nicky specializes in wovens, and theirs are the best, in my opinion.  The golden mean between too garish and too boring.

I like Drake's and Marinella for prints.  I have a handful of each.  Also some (two, I think) Marinella wovens and one Marinella repp.  At least one Drake's woven, which I love.

Charles Hill makes a great woven tie -- more subtle than T&A, which is too eye-poppingly "colorful" for me.  But on the narrow side.

I have two (I think) Kiton 7-folds, got at tremendous discounts.  They are subtle for Kiton.  I see their quality, but don't like the styling enough to chase after them.

I have one RL PL tie which I absolutely love.  It's at least 7 years old, and made in England.  (Does that mean it's T&A?)  It's got a good width, and makes a perfect knot.

And then I have a lot of random ties picked up here and there.  Some department store private labels, some really old Flusser ties, some Ben Silver, N&L, various Jermyn Street ties, etc.  Of these, I have at most one or two each.

15. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

I have 2 (older) Charvet ties. The styles and woven silks are not my favorite patterns, but they provide the most beautiful dimples and knots.

Simple devine.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have three Charvets, too. Two woven, one printed. Nice ties, not my favorite. I generally find Charvet wovens to be too "shimmery" or "iridescent" for my taste. Mine aren't, though. I deliberately picked more low-key examples. One of them knots well, but one (the one I like better, alas) doesn't.

17. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Maybe we should do our own ranking, and send it off to Forbes.. My faves: 1. Enrico Isaia (I know- they don't make them anymore, but I'd put Gianluca's up there too- maybe #5 after Nicky's) 2. Robert Talbott 3. Borrelli 4. Nicky's 5. Kiton (because they vary widths and I don't like narrow ties) 6. XMI Platinum 7. Brioni/Santo Stefano/Italo Ferretti (all made by same maker, I believe) 8. Armani Classico and Zegna (tie [​IMG] - Zegna used to be much better IMO) 9. Charvet 10. Stefano Ricci I haven't mentioned Duchamp or T&A- love the designs, too narrow. Also haven't mentioned Marinella, Carlo Franco, FIH, Breuer, Drake's, Carrot and Gibbs, or Garrick Anderson because I don't own any...YET... [​IMG]

18. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

19. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Someone asked about Lee Allison. This is a small tie maker based in Chicago. You can find him on the web at www.leeallison.com. I have never seen one of his ties in person, but I know he has some level of distribution locally. I once read that Neiman's carried him, for example.

20. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Stopped by Plain Clothes in Homewood (ie, Birmingham) today, and they had the new season's Nicky's out--wow.. Just amazing all the way around. Alas, they were $145 each, I believe.

Also impressive was their offering of Roda ties--anyone familiar with them? Italian made, but of English silk woven on antique looms and using designs from 1930s. Very classic and vibrant.