1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Matt, you're getting lots of good advice.

Another that I suggest for you is becoming familiar with what these guys look like:

[​IMG]

Also, Ortovox and Pieps make good avalanche transponders.

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

I can't pass up what will probably be my only opportunity in life to offer clothing advice to a man of Foo's formidable sartorial expertise...

Skiing is one of those activities where the most stylish thing to do is wear highly functional gear. You look like you are well on your way. The yellow gloves might match a bit too much with the yellow accents of the jacket (looks like you're trying too hard). But it sounds like you got a good deal on the gloves, in which case you should keep the gloves and change the jacket, if you care. Overall the combination of gray pants and plain colored jacket is quite compliant with modern ski/snowboard style, and you will be fine.

Follow the advice others have given and wear a helmet. The argument against doing so is the same argument against wearing seatbelts: "I've never had an accident before, so therefore it must be unnecessary." The big head-injury risk for a beginner isn't from a fall but a collision - you will be going slowly on a green run that happens to be at the foot of a black or blue run, and some teenager with more adrenaline than sense will come barreling through at too high a speed, not respecting the right of way of the slower people in front of him.

Goggles are not necessary for eye protection at low speeds, and may be more trouble for you than they're worth at this stage. The upside is they do cut glare. YMMV. I would suggest trying them, but don't be concerned if you decide to take them off after a couple of runs.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I was on ski patrol at Boreal (easy, easy mountain, we used to call it "Boring Hill") my junior and senior years of high school. That jacket was a crazy chick magnet. Good times.

4. F. Corbera

Would you agree that a wide, arcing, uncontrolled turn on the slope is most likely to take out the greatest number of other skiers?

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

Is the the 80s? I think I had those Rossies back then?

6. F. Corbera

You could lend that jacket to Foo.

It might be big on him, but he could button it 4x1 to cinch it up.

1 person likes this.
  7. F. Corbera

My guess is that it was 1999.

2 people like this.
  8. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

The most effective technique I have seen is the lean way back on your tails and go straight down method. They never see you coming.

They can sometimes pick you up in their peripheral vision on the wide arching turns.

9. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Well-Known Member

As seen above, wear sunglasses without a helmet. If you wear a helmet and want eye protection, use goggles.

10. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Oakley is the Hugo Boss of eye wear. My favorite brand is Zeal. They can be a bit pricy but less than a Hermes wallet. I would go with Smith or Bolle before Oakley.

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Triple face palm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

[​IMG]

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Sigh, okay--who makes a good goggle and helmet? I'm seeing lots of Oakley for the former and Giro for the latter.

13. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

The photo was, the skis sure as hell were not. 4Ss I would guess.

14. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Zeal is really one of the best for goggles. Oh, and they are in Bolder, CO.

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't know why but we all considered Rossingnols to be "girl" skis. I had K2s and then we all came to believe that Volkl were the baddest.

16. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

For maximizing body count, I lean towards a straight path downhill at high speed through the beginner slope on the first afternoon of a long weekend.

17. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

When you're finished shopping, please report back and let us know how much money you spent on a sport you don't intend to peruse.

18. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

The picture is from '99, but yeah the skis were from the 80's. I hadn't skied regularly in a few years at that point so I just put new bindings on my old skis and went out. It was fine, but since then I've switched to just renting new equipment whenever I go. The new shaped skis are a hell of a lot easier than my old Rossi's, but I figure if I could ski diamonds on those, I can ski anything :slayer:

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Been relatively inexpensive, actually. I'm picking from sales bins.

20. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

And yeah, pretty sure my wife's jacket was from the 80's as well. :)