• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo-approved

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

90% of this forum is an exercise in shopping and collecting, as opposed to actually wearing. You must, at the very least, see that he's not one the crowd who buys something in order to post into recent purchases. There's no accounting for taste, but it's nice to read the opinions of someone who actually wears clothes and, whether right or wrong, has a natural immunity to groupthink.
Many of us don't need to hear the same old recycled "10 steps to better style"; instead, we want to see real people with real opinions. It's fine to disagree with those opinions, but at least they're real and not copy pasted from a blog.

i can only speak for myself on this one, but i would imagine it applies to others as well.

i buy to wear, not to collect. i like to share what i buy, because some posters enjoy it. i dont post fit pics because when i wear these said clothes and i look in the mirror, for the most part i can tell what is right, and what is wrong. i know this from hanging around here long enough, seeing other peoples fits, bad and good, and posting a few of my own (mostly bad).

i dont fall into the category of the few whose fits are consistently good enough for others to learn from to make it worth posting, and when its bad, i know its bad. i may post one here or there, if i feel its worth sharing, but for the most part there is not much to be gained by me, or others, by doing so.

i would venture to guess this applies to many of the people here, some i have even heard say so explicitly.

anyhow, its late, im not sure any of that was germaine, but it was what came to my mind.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying.

TBH I don't post consistently good fits (SW&D). In fact, I usually only post when I can tell something isn't working, and I want some thoughts on how to make it better.

I don't really post in MC because I only rarely have occasion to wear tailored clothing.
The thing about "Recent Purchases" and "Shoe Damage" etc is that they promote a certain lust after objects. The threads could have their place if you attach an individual to the item - e.g. Ishii's shoes, you can tell they're his. Holdfast favours a certain cut of pants. etc etc. I like that. I like seeing people, their clothes, their opinions. Fritzl's Austro-Hungarian thread is fantastic at this. I didn't really get Manton's conservative business dress thread for a while, but I now understand its context and his posts express an experienced opinion.

I want to see more of this. I don't care if it's right or wrong. I just don't want to see "short men should wear pants with no break" - a recycled guide from some top ten list that probably originated on GQ - but rather, experience from a short man on how (if) he dresses for his body type.

real, sincere opinions.

Last edited:

BrandonJG

Reaction score
What?!
Have you seen this?
49a3e3dc_mafoofan111311m.jpeg

I'm not entirely sure, but to my eye, you appear to be on the shorter side, and that, in combination with the double-breasted jacket and widely cuffed trousers, really accentuates your small stature. I don't think the cutaway collar is doing you much good either considering the shape of your face. It also may be how you're standing, but an ever-so-slightly less break would probably be a good idea, too. Just my opinion, seeing as the discussion seems to be in regards to details.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, but to my eye, you appear to be on the shorter side...

foo.gif
is actually 7'10; he just inhabits (and takes his photographs in) a world of giants. You'd be amazed at how he towers above you when he visits Earth. It is said that the sound of his Aldens clicking on pavement can rouse thunderstorms from a mile away.

I'm pretty sure he was the real-life basis of inspiration for at least several of The Avengers, including Scarlett Johansson's character.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:foo:  is actually 7'10; he just inhabits (and takes his photographs in) a world of giants. You'd be amazed at how he towers above you when he visits Earth. It is said that the sound of his Aldens clicking on pavement can rouse thunderstorms from a mile away.

I'm pretty sure he was the real-life basis of inspiration for at least several of The Avengers, including Scarlett Johansson's character.

You might have a career in comedy....

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get what you're saying.
TBH I don't post consistently good fits (SW&D). In fact, I usually only post when I can tell something isn't working, and I want some thoughts on how to make it better.
I don't really post in MC because I only rarely have occasion to wear tailored clothing.
The thing about "Recent Purchases" and "Shoe Damage" etc is that they promote a certain lust after objects. The threads could have their place if you attach an individual to the item - e.g. Ishii's shoes, you can tell they're his. Holdfast favours a certain cut of pants. etc etc. I like that. I like seeing people, their clothes, their opinions. Fritzl's Austro-Hungarian thread is fantastic at this. I didn't really get Manton's conservative business dress thread for a while, but I now understand its context and his posts express an experienced opinion.
I want to see more of this. I don't care if it's right or wrong. I just don't want to see "short men should wear pants with no break" - a recycled guide from some top ten list that probably originated on GQ - but rather, experience from a short man on how (if) he dresses for his body type.
real, sincere opinions.

i hear ya. and i think that there is a certain amount of lusting in those threads you mentioned, but for some, that is something they enjoy. the chase.

i do agree tho that it is nice to see people with a different point of view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads